Brass shot from factory remington 7RUM too tight in new Mc gowen barrel?

Take a look again, I doubt you have a carbide rifle sizing die. Are you lubing the cases?

Bushing yes, but **** few carbide dies out there and expensive as heck. Plus carbide bushings are $75 a piece IF you can get someone to make them.

Thanks man, that was the ticket. After waking up from my nap, I took a real close look, and you were correct. The RCBS sizer die does NOT have a carbide insert. Don't ask me why I thought it did. Now that I know I don't have to worry about shattering it, I'll re-adjust it, and go the extra +1/4 turn beyond tight. And while I'm at it, I'll pull the expander ball/decapper pin rod out, giving the inner surface of the die a real good cleaning.

It probably still won't be very easy to size the bloated cases back down. But if they do have a decent fit after that, would I still be looking at a "case" of bad juju beans, if I use them?

Thanks man, that was the ticket. After waking up from my nap, I took a real close look, and you were correct. The RCBS sizer die does NOT have a carbide insert. Don't ask me why I thought it did. Now that I know I don't have to worry about shattering it, I'll re-adjust it, and go the extra +1/4 turn beyond tight. And while I'm at it, I'll pull the expander ball/decapper pin rod out, giving the inner surface of the die a real good cleaning.

That's why I asked you what carbide die you were using, because I don't know of any off the shelf 7 RUM carbide dies and don't know of many carbide rifle dies period. Handgun dies yes, bottleneck rifle dies no.

It probably still won't be very easy to size the bloated cases back down. But if they do have a decent fit after that, would I still be looking at a "case" of bad juju beans, if I use them?
They should be usable, just don't MIX them with the new brass. I would anneal them.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts