Barrel on new build only hand tight.

horse killer

I have 200 rounds through my new custom 6.5 Saum. I noticed that the break looked like it was rotated. Took off the break and noticed that the barrel was loose . My questions are could this cause any damage to the barrel . I also was wondering if this was the reason my groups opened from under 1/2 to over 1 1/2. Has any one ever had this happen.

I have 200 rounds through my new custom 6.5 Saum. I noticed that the break looked like it was rotated. Took off the break and noticed that the barrel was loose . My questions are could this cause any damage to the barrel . I also was wondering if this was the reason my groups opened from under 1/2 to over 1 1/2. Has any one ever had this happen.

That would definitely cause your groups to open up. Your headspace was growing with every shot.. you may want to inspect the brass and possibly toss it. There probably won't be any damage to the barrel but I'd send it to the Smith and have it fixed and checked.

That could actually get dangerous rather quickly. I would really be teed off about it and not the least reserved in communicating that to the Smith.

Face it... Smith's are far from ISO 9000 certification and some don't really pay attention to be what the heck they are doing. Don't know the reputation of your Smith but this is inexcusable, IMO.

Probably no damage to the barrel. Sounds like the smith did not fullly torque it. Headspace needs to be checked after it is re-tightened.

That could actually get dangerous rather quickly. I would really be teed off about it and not the least reserved in communicating that to the Smith.

Face it... Smith's are far from ISO 9000 certification and some don't really pay attention to be what the heck they are doing. Don't know the reputation of your Smith but this is inexcusable, IMO.

Ditto!

Yep, take it back and tell your gunsmith to make it right. Then, this is what I would do, Take it to another competent gunsmith and have it double checked.

horse killer,

It may be that the chamber was cut a little tight and he left it slightly loose in order to achieve proper headspace and avoid having to go back and lengthen the chamber.

It may have also been a matter of timing, either flutes or the brake and he chose to make the adjustment in the wrong part of the assembly.

Take the rifle back to your gunsmith and have him tighten it properly. Then check the headspace to be sure it is to the spec you require. Adjust the headspace if needed and time the brake.

This may have been an oversight on the part of the gunsmith. But this is the type of oversight that is not acceptable since it could lead to another problem later on. Every firearm needs to be checked thoroughly before it leaves the shop.

Face it... Smith's are far from ISO 9000 certification and some don't really pay attention to be what the heck they are doing.

Nor are we paid to have the ISO 9000 or 9002 certifications. This would put the cost of gunsmithing way over the top of what most folks are willing to spend. I came from the Aircraft and Aerospace side and I can't come close to charging what I made in that industry even with a degree and 25 years experience. But I certainly enjoy what I do now.

I will admit that there might some gunsmiths with less than stellar abilities, but there aren't any guidelines or certifications other than a degree or certificate of completion from a community college program. What's worse is those atrocious online degree mills which charge you up the butt and provide you with no skills! Yet you get a diploma and certificate stating that you are indeed a gunsmith by their qualifications. Anyone can apply for the proper FFL to run a gunsmith shop. They don't have to prove anything or show a diploma.

Yes, it's a pain in the butt to search out and research who is best qualified to build for you but until there is a change in the regulation of the trade, this what you must do.

There is also the distinct possibility that this is a simple error by oversight and your gunsmith will be duly chastised just by seeing what he forgot to check. Yes, it could have been problematic but it wasn't and in most cases just seeing the problem puts the fear of God into a Man's soul for what may have happened. Judge him by his actions and his desire to fix the problem and not by internet opinions.

Regards.

I would ditto what was said previously and emphasize that you very likely have seriously starched the cases that were fired with the barrel THAT loose. You may have to toss them? Pay close attention right ahead of the case web and you may seem signs, if not even a crack forming.......Rich

Depending on how much the barrel rotated, You probably ruined the brass when it moved. (To much head space).

It is normal to set the head space when assembling the rifle and then re check it when the barrel is torqued to the receiver. (Normally, head space will be reduced by about .001 so it must be checked after torqueing.

Don't know how your smith missed it, but when you talk to him he will probably be embarrassed
if he is any kind of a good smith. He could have just missed this step in his haste to meet a deadline.

What ever the reason, it should be torqued and re checked for proper head space.

J E CUSTOM

Update talked to the gunsmith today. He was very quick to apologize and said he would cover all shipping cost and fix the problem. He was not sure how this happened but said he would make things good at no cost. I tried to do my do diligence and researched this forum and snipers hide and found no negative reviews on this gunsmith. Thanks for the reply's to my thread . I will more than likely discard the fired brass and start over.

It doesn't matter how good you are at whatever you do, eventually you will screw something up, and after that happens, you will screw something up again. That's just how it is.

No one was hurt and hes making it right on his dime, as long as its fixed when you get it back, I would be happy.

Update talked to the gunsmith today. He was very quick to apologize and said he would cover all shipping cost and fix the problem. He was not sure how this happened but said he would make things good at no cost. I tried to do my do diligence and researched this forum and snipers hide and found no negative reviews on this gunsmith. Thanks for the reply's to my thread . I will more than likely discard the fired brass and start over.

Good for your smith! That is all you can expect and anyone can make a mistake....Rich

horse killer,

There is also the distinct possibility that this is a simple error by oversight and your gunsmith will be duly chastised just by seeing what he forgot to check. Yes, it could have been problematic but it wasn't and in most cases just seeing the problem puts the fear of God into a Man's soul for what may have happened. Judge him by his actions and his desire to fix the problem and not by internet opinions.

Regards.

Excellent!

Usually, a responsible gunsmith will rise to the need and correct the problem as has happened here. I'm glad that he has acted properly and that your error will be fixed so both you and he can move on.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts