brass annealing machine

I used a BenchSource for a couple of years. It's a fine annealer, but I got tired of having to adjust the torches for each cartridge I needed annealed. Using 1# propane bottles, I was always checking torch flame as pressure changed as bottle started getting low, so I set it up w/ 20# bottle hoses.

Got tired of all the adjustments to do go from cartridge to cartridge!
Bit the bullet and got the AMP and then the Aztec update several years later. Yeah, it was expensive, but one of the best upgrades I've ever made.

It was good for me because I reload 12 cartridges with a variety of brass, fast to change and perfectly consistent annealing.

For a shooter of just a few cartridges, there's any number of much cheaper annealing methods available.
That's good to know, That it is a pain to adjust it maybe I won't consider the bench source.

For $40 bucks buy Brian Litz's book Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting Volume II. Read the chapter on neck tension (heck read the whole book). He does a comprehensive test on annealing vs. not. Or I can save you that $40 and tell you there is nearly zero difference, and probably less in a hunting gun. The first thing that will happen to your brass is the primer pockets get loose, and annealing can't help that. I have/have had several annealing machines, and now I just shoot, without using them. You will be money and accuracy WAY ahead by using your money buying brass. But if you have excess time and money then get another step in your reloading. Just test the difference yourself and do an honest assessment of the results.
Does most everyone agree that they seen little to no improvement or worth of annealing there brass ?

Does most everyone agree that they seen little to no improvement or worth of annealing there brass ?
Depends on what you mean by "little" but in general No I disagree with what is being infered in your question. There is no question proper annealing increases case life via reduction or elimination of split necks from work hardening. Its also proven thru metallurgical science that it effects consistency of properties that translate to what we call "neck tension". More correctly compressive force applied to then bullet via the brass in tension. But it must be done consistently and using proper temp/time ratio window. The latter is , IMO, why some find little to no benefit. The science is now available online to do it properly/precisely by anyone willing to do so.

with me getting an annealing machine, to expand on the process, in what step of the brass prep should it be completed? And how do you know that you have the right time and heat on the neck of the brass?

with me getting an annealing machine, to expand on the process, in what step of the brass prep should it be completed? And how do you know that you have the right time and heat on the neck of the brass?
Before sizing the neck/entire case.

That is where the AMP is supreme as they have done all the science work for you and its programmed into the machine. On any of the open flame annealers you have numerous variables. Flame distance, ambient temp, speed or time in the flame but it can be effective, just more variables that you have to research and work out yourself.

Most people clean the brass first then anneal before sizing if you use a product called tempilaq it changes color at the proper temperature

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts