brass annealing machine

Baboltin

I am in the market for a annealing machine but they aren't cheap I made a post for a used one in the classified section. A couple quick question.

what ones are good ones that you would recommend?
what ones should I stay away from?
what are the issues with the good and bad ones? And does anyone have one they want to part with?

I'd say the amp machine is probably the best . once you get things figured out it will anneal exactly the same every time , but expensive .
I think most of the flame type annealers do a good job . there are a couple different ideas with them . some use one torch and spin the case , others use two or three torches and the case is stationary . I use a two torch ballistic edge machine . it seems to do a good job . I keep some old brass to set up on , so I don't cook my new brass . I've never heard anything bad about any of them really . a couple of names that come to mind are ; bench source , annealeez . if you are handy with building projects you might want to consider a skips machine . there's others , these are the couple I can think of right off .

I can't find a link to the ballistic edge , they must be out of production ??

Yeah I would love the amp machine I was looking at them but don't think I can swing the 1400 right now, so I was looking at purchasing the annealeez machine. Hopefully it will work well for what I need it for and figure it's better than what I have now which is nothing haha. Has anyone had any problems or complaints about it?

If you are buying new. Anneleeze is a good bang for the buck.
A used bench source is a more refined product If you can get one within your budget.
I have a Ken Light. Great annealer as well if you can find one. Beautiful design engineering, a work of art really.

Last edited:
I have just recently got into reloading, and have been looking into annealers as well. Can't justify an amp starting out, even though it seems it is ultimately the one to get. I've been looking at and considering Anneleeze, seems to do a good enough job for the value.

Yeah I would love the amp machine I was looking at them but don't think I can swing the 1400 right now, so I was looking at purchasing the annealeez machine. Hopefully it will work well for what I need it for and figure it's better than what I have now which is nothing haha. Has anyone had any problems or complaints about it?
I had one and it works just fine but I did have a problem with regulating the flame

For $40 bucks buy Brian Litz's book Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting Volume II. Read the chapter on neck tension (heck read the whole book). He does a comprehensive test on annealing vs. not. Or I can save you that $40 and tell you there is nearly zero difference, and probably less in a hunting gun. The first thing that will happen to your brass is the primer pockets get loose, and annealing can't help that. I have/have had several annealing machines, and now I just shoot, without using them. You will be money and accuracy WAY ahead by using your money buying brass. But if you have excess time and money then get another step in your reloading. Just test the difference yourself and do an honest assessment of the results.

I used a BenchSource for a couple of years. It's a fine annealer, but I got tired of having to adjust the torches for each cartridge I needed annealed. Using 1# propane bottles, I was always checking torch flame as pressure changed as bottle started getting low, so I set it up w/ 20# bottle hoses.

Got tired of all the adjustments to do go from cartridge to cartridge!
Bit the bullet and got the AMP and then the Aztec update several years later. Yeah, it was expensive, but one of the best upgrades I've ever made.

It was good for me because I reload 12 cartridges with a variety of brass, fast to change and perfectly consistent annealing.

For a shooter of just a few cartridges, there's any number of much cheaper annealing methods available.