my homemade brass annealing machine

Not sure how good the video will be

Wow. That one looks store bought. Very nice job. Mine won't look anything like that but if it gets a good anneal on my brass I'll be happy. Maybe one day down the road I'll make a nice one like that.

Tbrice. I see how yours is separate. I'm thinking with going with something attached like 450 hunters. Mostly because if it's attached, it can't get lost. Handy things like torches have a tendency to be borrowed without return around here.

ShootnMathews,

Thanks for the kind words but I will be the first to say that my wood working skills suck. I was very surprised at how good of a job it does annealing. It seems to do a even and consistent job.

Also the parts were pretty cheap that I used to build it with.

This evening i made a torch holder that is adjustable on two axis. I can move it closer to or away from the brass and I can move it in or out for different length brass. I ran some 7-08, a few 7.62-54, and one 6.5-284. I don't have any tempalac (or however it's spelled) to check the temp but I believe it is pretty close. About two seconds before the case drops you can see the color change of the brass and you can tell by the look of it before it falls that if it were to stay in the flame for another second or two more it would begin to glow. At the time the case drops there is no red, orange, or pink color to it, but you can tell that it is right near the verge when it drops from the flame.

Now I just need to make something to feed the shells from the hopper.

So far I'm happy with the product it puts out

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 117
Looking great shootnmathews! Just curious how long "in the flame" are your cases with your setup?

Looking great shootnmathews! Just curious how long "in the flame" are your cases with your setup?

About 5.5 - 6 seconds. I designed it to be a single torch setup but I believe I'm going to have to get a second one. The single torch is not a wide enough flame. If I aim it at the neck shoulder junction the anneal barely reaches the body and you can see the edge of the case mouth is not as annealed as the neck shoulder area. I bought a pencil flame torch but I guess the flame is too concentrated. I'll either have to get a second torch or one with a wider flame.

About 5.5 - 6 seconds. I designed it to be a single torch setup but I believe I'm going to have to get a second one. The single torch is not a wide enough flame. If I aim it at the neck shoulder junction the anneal barely reaches the body and you can see the edge of the case mouth is not as annealed as the neck shoulder area. I bought a pencil flame torch but I guess the flame is too concentrated. I'll either have to get a second torch or one with a wider flame.

Thanks much for the info. again, great job.

Thanks much for the info. again, great job.

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words I will say that I'm not sure how long the motor will last in my pan. My 284 brass really needed annealed bad so I set it up and ran 100 cases through it. It really didn't seem like it took long at all. But when I was done the motor was pretty warm. Not from actual motor usage but the heat from the torch heated up the pan and the heat travelled down the spindle to the motor. I think if I limit myself to 100 at a time and allow it to cool in between that it will be ok. But I'm thinking of making a manual feed for the hopper and I'll just crank one down as they drop. I'm not going to be walking away from it anyways. I'll just save the second motor I case the one on the pan burns out. They are $13 motors meant for turning fishing rods. So I'm not out a whole lot. The pan probably applys as much resistance as the rods do but it may be too much heat conducting through the metal. Time will tell. I am going to buy a new torch head though. One with a wider flame. Will keep this one in my soldering stuff.

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words I will say that I'm not sure how long the motor will last in my pan. My 284 brass really needed annealed bad so I set it up and ran 100 cases through it. It really didn't seem like it took long at all. But when I was done the motor was pretty warm. Not from actual motor usage but the heat from the torch heated up the pan and the heat travelled down the spindle to the motor. I think if I limit myself to 100 at a time and allow it to cool in between that it will be ok. But I'm thinking of making a manual feed for the hopper and I'll just crank one down as they drop. I'm not going to be walking away from it anyways. I'll just save the second motor I case the one on the pan burns out. They are $13 motors meant for turning fishing rods. So I'm not out a whole lot. The pan probably applys as much resistance as the rods do but it may be too much heat conducting through the metal. Time will tell. I am going to buy a new torch head though. One with a wider flame. Will keep this one in my soldering stuff.
That's why my torch is pointed straight up. I've ran for 30 min before without over heating.

Chad. It may but right now the motors I have are 110-115 AC. So I don't need any converters or such. Just plug straight in to wall. If these don't last I'll find a little tougher ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.