Braked rifle hearing protection for hunting?

pburton

I am working with my first custom built rifle. It is a trued Rem 700 in 7mm rem mag. The recoil isn't to bad but I decided to have a brake installed. With the brake I could shoot this rifle all day long. But then I realized what am I going to do when I am hunting. It is fine when I am at the range with good hearing protection on but what should I do when I am hunting? I understand that it will be easy if it is a long shot since I will have some time to put hearing protection on. What do you do with the time when you are hunting and an animal pops up? I really can't afford to lose any more hearing. I have been working around helicopters for years and already have a significant hearing deficit. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

... . What do you do with the time when you are hunting and an animal pops up? I really can't afford to lose any more hearing.

I share your dilemma. What I do is try to get the hearing protection on as quickly and quietly as possible. If that doesn't work, I simply let the "pop up" shot go and wait until the circumstances suit my needs for a good clean shot with good ear protection. It's about the hunt, not the kill. I sometimes come home without meat. Not happy about it but at least I enjoyed the hunt. :)

I've worn Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuf for hours on end while hunting. The batteries last forever.

When I am sitting still, I will use regular ear plugs.

If I am moving or need to hear as good as without ear protection I will use an amplified set of ear muffs that allow me to hear as good or better than normal and that clip the DB to a very safe level
when the rifle fires.

Some rifle cheek pieces do not work well with ear muffs so I remove the one that goes next to the rifle and use an ear plug in that ear. I can still hear very good and my ears are protected.

Len on Long rang hunting sell some very good electronic ear plugs that work great also.

With or without a brake, hearing protection should be worn because of the DB levels when firing a rifle or other firearms.

J E CUSTOM

I've worn Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuf for hours on end while hunting. The batteries last forever.

I have have the Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs and I use them religiously. Like most others I've used, IMO they don't reduce the noise level of the muzzle brake rifle and some large caliber rifles enough to adequately protect hearing. Therefore I always use foam insert plugs along with the earmuff styles for improved protection. If you figure that these typical good quality earmuffs reduce noise levels by 22 - 25db (only when they are properly fitted which means not being pressed again the comb of a rifle butt) and that the brake equipped rifle can produce noise levels in the range of 135db+ you're still experiencing at least 105 +/- db and that's damaging to hearing.

I am working with my first custom built rifle. It is a trued Rem 700 in 7mm rem mag. The recoil isn't to bad but I decided to have a brake installed. With the brake I could shoot this rifle all day long. But then I realized what am I going to do when I am hunting. It is fine when I am at the range with good hearing protection on but what should I do when I am hunting? I understand that it will be easy if it is a long shot since I will have some time to put hearing protection on. What do you do with the time when you are hunting and an animal pops up? I really can't afford to lose any more hearing. I have been working around helicopters for years and already have a significant hearing deficit. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I worked in the flight line in my 1st 10 years in USAF working on F-4s and A-10s without any significant hearing loss. My 1st base had 6 squadrons of F-4s with 28 PAAs each. I've used foamies and head seats for hearing protection.

Most of the time, all I have is a balaclava and I do just fine. I always carry a set of foamies but sometimes I forget to put them on. :D

Thanks for the replies. It makes me feel better that I am not the only one that does not have a solid plan in place. I have a set of electronic ear muffs that I use at the range and they are great. But I cannot see myself using them when I am hunting. I have hunted without ear protection for the last 30+ years. Maybe that has something to do with my hearing loss. But as I get older I worry about further loss. My wife thinks that I ignore her, but actually I cannot hear her. At least that's what I tell her. Haha. I have looked into the electronic ears the Len sells on here. But there are several not so good reviews of them that makes me nervous about putting out $400. Although they look perfect for what I am in need of.

PB, agree with all replies for electronic muffs. At my age I don't hear as well (must be the wife's voice) so I use the electronic muffs and hearing is enhanced. They provide great protection when shooting the braked 30/378.

Thanks for all of the replies. I guess it comes down to shelling out the cash and trying some different styles to see what is going to work for me.

I work construction and have the ear plugs on the flexible plastic that go around your neck.I wear them evry day so really used to them 6-7$.Leave them on my neck and havent cost me a shot yet,can rotate them in easy with one hand,last 3 close shots I had worked fine.

Now that I am older. I take hearing protection more seriously . I use electronic fitted ear piece just like a fitted hearing aid. I have one set that is analog and one more expensive set that is digital. In my younger days only using muff on loud guns like pistol and never using them while hunting. I have now suffered some hearing loss. My uncles and grandpa shot skeet and trap and have also had problems and they always use standard muffs. So they now have hearing aids. Most time just muffs aren't enough. I have seen some guys wear plugs and muffs. Once you have lost hearing you can never get it back. I also carry ear plugs in my truck. The kind shaped like a horse shoe. I wear them around my neck even if I am only a spotter. But with muzzle break guns it is often those around you that get the muzzle blast much more then the shooter. I found myself even using my plug around a loud drill or any loud machinery . I always protected my hearing now ! Trying to protest the hearing I have left. I wish I would have been more care full in my younger years. But often the better protection is to expensive in our younger times of life. Although we should never skimp on our hearing or eye protection. Especially with so many of use shooting steel these days. Where your eye protection as well . I guess I am saying don't skimp when it comes to protecting your hearing and eyes. Sorry for the long sermon .

shoot a lesser caliber gun that doesn't need a brake. lots of 6.5's and 7mm's that can be shot well without a brake on the gun, plus the people at the gun range will not get annoyed with you.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.