Hearing Protection - Non Hunting Scenerio

bdpayne2000

So I am curious what everyone uses for hearing protection in non hunting situations. Today I use cheap ear muffs and cutom fit ear plugs. I double up because I use brakes and because my hearing is jacked in one ear from a couple of hunting situations so I am trying to save what I have. I am most interested in finding some better muffs.

Thanks, Brian.

Engineering101

I too double up with plugs and muffs. The muffs I bought at a hardware store. I think they are from 3M. The nice thing about them is that they are low profile so they don't hit the stock. light and comfortable. I don't think there is a lot of variation in the attenuation you get from either assuming they are not complete garbage.

just browsing

I double up with the foam ear plugs you get at your LHS and some $15 Howard Leight L3's I got off of Amazon. I'm sure the electronic muffs are nice but to I never saw the point in spending that much when I could spend a fraction of it and get the same protection.

rooster721

I shoot with Sport Ear (stryker's) I believe they're called ??? $500 & really work great. Used them all last season waterfowling, plus have been shooting them through winter even with my braked rifles.. really happy with them

Tried a couple other versions before-hand. These Strykers are the way to go.

Decided $500 is peanuts compared to the value of my hearing.. had a scare about two years back (when I used muffs alone & various cheap foams) Left ear started an unusual humm! Since then, ordered a couple sets of sport-ear, picked the ones that worked/fit best and won't ever go back. Highly reccommend Sport Ear*

The fact you're actually able to "still-hear" the guys with you and your surroundings beats hollering at each other spotting/calling shots & such.. nevermind in the duck blind! Priceless for waterfowling.

WildRose

At the Range I have a couple of different types of electronic muffs that work very well.

Hunting, generally just a set of custom earl plugs.

A reminder that this becomes even more critical at high altitude especially if you haven't made it a point to pop your ears several times to equalize the pressure.

bruce_ventura

I double up with foamies and Peltor electronic muffs. I started doing that when a hearing test showed I was loosing some mid-range frequencies. The only good news is that those are the frequencies of my wife's voice.

Recent Posts