Bragging on Kirby Allen, and my new AX

What does that thing weigh?

I gasped after my dad put it on their digital scale. I have the CZ 20 MOA rail on there and Barrett 15/40 MOA .50 Cal rings that I was planning on using (so currently I have 35 MOA of downward cant), and for the time being I have a Vari-X III 4.5-14x50 in Delron rings just to look through. I decided not to waste barrel life until I had the Nightforce on there.......anyway, with it in the dragbag, it was 30 POUNDS!!! HOLY COW!!! I was debating between a Heavy Palma and the AMU/MTU countour.......kinda wish I would have went with the Palma now, but this thing looks like it will easily shoot canyon to canyon. If I go to a State with a 16.5 lb rule, I may have to have a 300 Ultra Sendero to actually hunt with, LOL!!! Good excuse to purchase one! ;^)

The 8-32x56 NXS is a great scope, I had one on a 338 EDGE Kirby built. I decided to go with the 5-25x56 ATACR for the 338 AM I should have arriving any day now. The larger tube and greater elevation range is what sold me on this scope after shooting Schmidts on my smaller rifle, coupled with NF now making 34mm ultralite rings. I have the ATACR sitting here waiting for the rifle, but I have mounted it on my 260 and the clarity and light gathering is awesome. Either way, you can't go wrong with the NF scopes, but you will have a slight disadvantage with the 8-32 when it comes to stretching that bad boy out, those extra 55 MOA are nice in the elevation and you will see a difference in light gathering and glass quality.

What ever scope you go with you have to buy from gunwerks, they will not build you turrets unless you buy their scope,(G7) the reason I know this I just ask Mike about building turrets for both of my 5.5x22x56's 2 weeks ago. His response was we are not building turrets for a nightforce unless it's branded G7, and just buy our range finder. I guess there good enough to use nightforce scopes and call them theirs by sticking a G7 label on it, but there to full of themselves to build a turret for a lowly nightforce.

They are not the only ones that make custom turrets either. But I recommend using regular MOA turrets as range condition and shooting environments change.

What ever scope you go with you have to buy from gunwerks, they will not build you turrets unless you buy their scope,(G7) the reason I know this I just ask Mike about building turrets for both of my 5.5x22x56's 2 weeks ago. His response was we are not building turrets for a nightforce unless it's branded G7, and just buy our range finder. I guess there good enough to use nightforce scopes and call them theirs by sticking a G7 label on it, but there to full of themselves to build a turret for a lowly nightforce.

That's insane, they're losing business and money.... But I guess the ego is priceless.

They are not the only ones that make custom turrets either. But I recommend using regular MOA turrets as range condition and shooting environments change.

Been talking to Kenton as well, so the turret issue is a non-issue. I DO prefer MOAs as well......more accurate as far as shot placement too, but most of the Spotter scopes with reticules have MILS.......yuck. Kenton is going to make me a custom on for a custom .22 LR that I have set up for 500 yard shooting.

BTW, the Gunwerks two Video collection of Series 1 is really good! It does suck that they will not make you a turret, as on TV they advertise that they will.

As for running out of MOAs......I have a 20MOA rail, and my rings are Barrett Adjustables from +15 MOA to +40 MOA for a total of either 35 MOA or 60 MOAs, so it is kinda doubtful I will run it out of drop. Kirby's rifle will shoot better than me most likely anyway, LOL.........not that I am a bad shooter........I shoot to 1K quite often, just not beyond! I'll have to practice beyond that!!!

I would recommend the NXS 3.5x15x56, the 5.5x22x56, or the ATACR. The NXS 8x32 does not have enough vertical adjustment in my opinion. The others have 110moa, 100moa, and over 130 moa respectively. The ATACR is much better in low light conditions. Gary

Very good looking rifle. What does that thing weigh?

30 lbs. WITHOUT Optics. It is a long, stiff, HEAVY barrel. My ONLY hindsight change I would have done, is that I wish I would have went with a 29" Medium Palma Contour instead of the 29" MTU/AMU Contour (would have LOVED a Carbon Wraped Barrel; but OMG, EXPENSIVE!!!).......I believe it would have ballanced perfectly then. My thoughts at the time was that if it was good enough for the Marines, well then now. ;) My original thoughts WERE the Medium Palma. In either way of thinking, Kirby did an excellent job with an action that he was not very familiar with at all, and had a heck of a time just separating the factory barrel from the action. 'Tis the sign of a exceptional gunsmith. Now all I need is some GOOD 30mm Glass, and that will take a while since I am paying off my back surgery. Still I am a proud Papa, and am patiently waiting to pay off bills to get a Leupold or Nightforce (1st choice).

Mindcrime,

I have a 338 lapua on the same action and stock, iv been having a hard time finding a 20 moa base for it. What brand of base are you using and where did you purchase it?

That gun is terrible. You should send it to me before you waste money shooting it. Lol

That thing is super nice. I wish on every star that was in my safe. You will really enjoy that. I cannot imagine the ballistics of that beast. That tops the BMG in every way in my book.

Let us know how you like it and get us a range report. Again, incredible rifle.

I recommend a 5.5-22 or the new atacr as well. I have all and even the 32x and 42x the 32x would be decent if you could get like 40-50moa base for it as it only has 65 moa travel. The atacr will have about everything you need if 25x is enough for you and it is plenty for me out to 2000 yds.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.