375 Allen Mag vs these cartridges

I sent him an email but got a quick reply saying he has a massive amount of emails to get to before mine. It's alright I'm not in a hurry. As long as he doesn't stop making the 375

All I really want to know is is the 375 AM the king of the hill over all 375s and 338s.

I want the baddest 375 out there

Glad you are not Ina. Hurry. Kirby is a one man show. Takes him a long time to make all parts personally.

I favor the 375VM2 & 375 Snipe Tac

Cheers

Do you have rifles chambered in either of these cartridges? If so what kind of performance is the 375VM2 capable of with the projectiles you've tested?

As far as the 375 VM2 I believe less than 10 of these where made. Dave Viers does not work on rifles to much any more. I believe he does custom dies.

He sold some of his rifle stuff. Would like to have got some of the 375 VM2 left over parts. Heard he had to rework the bolt face on his action to get the case to work.

Good read guys.

CA48

To answer your question, my shooting partner and I went with the 375 Snipe Tac and the 375VM2 with the mindset of having an extremely accurate long range caliber. We have both shot the 338LM for years at the extended ranges and wanted to push to the next level. We focus more so on the challenge in long range accuracy then who has a bigger gun.

The 375 Snipe Tac, we chambered and built ourselves - 32" 9 twist
We finished it late fall 2015
We ran the 350 SMK up to 3200 fps with good accuracy, and we also are running the GS414s at 2850 fps in which the accuracy has been floating in the 1/3 to 1/4 moa at 600 yards. Both are conservative loads without any pressure signs.

I know 600 yards is not much but at least it's good enough for load development, then this spring we can stretch things out to 2400 yards again.

The 375VM2 was built by Dave Viers and as stated he has retired from building rifles. This rifle being a 36" 9 twist and his Viersco Action {not a Barker or Lawton} is a very well put together and balanced rifle. We are looking foward to getting this out at to 2400 this spring as well.

This rifle was chambered for running the GS414s at 3400fps +/-
I do have a 36" 16-8 gain twist to run as well someday as well.

I'm looking forward to shooting and testing more with the 375VM2 when the weather and my work schedule allows here soon.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE
All I really want to know is is the 375 AM the king of the hill over all 375s and 338s.

I want the baddest 375 out there[/QUOTE

The 375 AM is king of the hill in my opinion, but on paper the 375/416 Barrett is.

The 375 AM is a wildcat but Kirby has fireformed brass available and dies.

His rifles are accuracy tested to 1000 yards before they leave the shop and come
with load data.

These rifles can also be built as light as 15 pounds with a bipod so carrying one in the field is manageable.

It is also a much more efficient case and I'm pretty sure loaded with the same bullet it will be within ~100fps of the barret with significantly less powder.

With the Barrett you will have to get custom dies made.

The rifle will have to be built on a bmg receiver so it's going to be heavy.

You will have to find someone to walk you through forming brass.

Due to the fact that there are a very small number of these rifles out there vs chey tac based wildcats there is little information on them and a higher risk of running into issues unlike the Chey tac base wildcats which have been put through the paces and refined.

It will have much more blast/ concussion from the muzzle brake.

I don't know from personal experience but I have read that 50 bmg primers can have a negative effect on accuracy. I can't remember why but look it up.

Don't know much about the VM2 but it does not seem to have caught on. I have a 338 AM and have no desire to go any bigger (until Berger releases some big .375s). It is also the most accurate custom rifle I own out of 4. I don't know your experience level but by the way your post is worded it appears to be very little, and that's fine you've come to the right place and we can help you best if you take a little more time to include more details about your experience level and your goals with this. This is not something I would recommend as a shooters or hand loaders first long range rifle. You might want start out with a smaller .338 and get a feel of how it performs at ELR or find someone that will let you shoot thier rifle. Email some of the smiths that build these cartridges and they will be able to help you better than anyone.

From reading on here I see that the 375/416 is considered the hottest, I wonder how it performs at extreme distances (2800 yards and beyond)

I don't have a much experience, but that will change when I finally get out of school. I currently shoot 338 Lapua mag and a m107 .50, but there is not a single 1000 yard range nearby. This past summer, we were on our annual family vacation on a ranch in Laredo and set up a target on plywood at 1019 yards. We sat on top of a porch where we could see the target and set up with the 338. I never hit the **** thing because we weren't sure where to adjust (with there being so much brush around, we couldn't tell if the bullet was hitting high, low, or elsewhere). And we had 2 people in a mule down the road away from the target watching for a splash. Saw nothing. We are able to shoot at 500 yards though with the target positioned on the main road. Did it with the 338 and 7mm 08.

I love long distance shooting and if there's anything in the shooting world I want to be good at, it's long range shooting. I also am fascinated with researching cartridges and seeing what new cartridge out there is pushing the limits. Which is why I was hellbent on finding out if the 375 AM was the best out there.

I also like to collect guns, mainly WW2 era, but I would like to have about several long range rifles (a mix of custom and factory) along with several African hunting rifles (mostly big bore double barrel and bolt action rifles). I am also fascinated with the gigantic dangerous game rounds offered, and like I said above, would like to own at least several rifles like it. And when I say big I mean 500 nitro express and up.

And yes I believe I have come to the right place. I don't mean to troll when I ask questions on here. I ask a lot of questions because I am always wanting to learn.

Next on my wish list is a .375 AM or a 8mm vampire OR .300 werewolf (cartridges with neat names that deliver a massive punch). And I'm ok with the wait on Allen's rifles, I know he does fabulous work. That's one thing missing out of my collection is a custom rifle. My uncle, cousin, and grandfather all have custom .300s and my aunt will soon be getting a custom .280 ackley improved.

I have been shooting all my life FWIW (I'm only 22, so that may not be saying much)

My goals are to be able to shoot at distances of 2000+ yards. That is a long term goal though. Short term, I want to be able to put together a nice grouping at 1000 yards. But again it's difficult because there is no place near me that has even a 1000 yard range and being in school almost all the time doesn't help (as an accounting major, it is very demanding)

CA48

To answer your question, my shooting partner and I went with the 375 Snipe Tac and the 375VM2 with the mindset of having an extremely accurate long range caliber. We have both shot the 338LM for years at the extended ranges and wanted to push to the next level. We focus more so on the challenge in long range accuracy then who has a bigger gun.

The 375 Snipe Tac, we chambered and built ourselves - 32" 9 twist
We finished it late fall 2015
We ran the 350 SMK up to 3200 fps with good accuracy, and we also are running the GS414s at 2850 fps in which the accuracy has been floating in the 1/3 to 1/4 moa at 600 yards. Both are conservative loads without any pressure signs.

I know 600 yards is not much but at least it's good enough for load development, then this spring we can stretch things out to 2400 yards again.

The 375VM2 was built by Dave Viers and as stated he has retired from building rifles. This rifle being a 36" 9 twist and his Viersco Action {not a Barker or Lawton} is a very well put together and balanced rifle. We are looking foward to getting this out at to 2400 this spring as well.

This rifle was chambered for running the GS414s at 3400fps +/-
I do have a 36" 16-8 gain twist to run as well someday as well.

I'm looking forward to shooting and testing more with the 375VM2 when the weather and my work schedule allows here soon.

Cheers

Where are you getting Brass for the VM2 or is that super secret? I'd actually be interested in building a light weight 50cal based off of it or a .458.

TX

Bertram Brass

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 30
Do they have a website? I put it in a search and nothing direct came up.

Bertram Bullet Co Pty Ltd
200 Goulburn Valley Hwy
Seymour,VIC 3660, Australia

Phone: 357922912

You could also contact Huntington and ask them to inquire for you - TOLL FREE: 1-866-735-6237

Cheers

30 mm

It's good to see that you want to take it to a new level, for the most part theres some good info passed on within a group of ELR shooters here.

Just throwing this out there

A all around fun shooting ELR rifle -375 Cheytac
standard components easy to accumulate.

Fun shooting ELR with a little extra speed - 375 Snipe Tac & 375 AM
375 Cheytac Brass and Cheytac Action with special Dies

Good Luck with the research and build

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.