All,

I have a few rifles that need load development. That being said, I'd really like to try some of the pricey boutique mono bullets offered nowadays. I've heard enough fan fare to convince me I should try some out. The first rifle I will work on will be a 7 REM Mag with a 1-9" twist barrel. The intended purpose for this rifle, will be general MT big game use. I'm thinking 6-800 yards max range.

That being said, I'm not sure which brand to try first. I have experience with Barnes and love them. I am not opposed to going with the 145 LRX, but I'm looking, really, to try the new stuff. I'm interested in Hammer and Cutting Edge bullets at the moment. I'm not opposed to other brands, I've just had my eye on the two list above for a while. Any other suggestions are welcome.

No, I don't want to shoot Bergers, ELDX, etc. Please keep the conversation to monos.

Thanks in advance!!!
168 barns is the the only mono that comes close to flying like a Berger in any of my 7 or 28 Nosler. that being said you might need to look at the fps, because my rule of thumb that I go bye is 1700 fps for them to properly open and on a 7 mag your 800 yards might be out of that Hammer just came with a 180 which they say is good with twist. just my 2 cents

If you try the Hammer bullets I would try the new 145 HHT, should be perfect for the 1-9 twist 7 Rem Mag. I have been shooting the 143 HH for a few years now and they are very accurate but the BC suffers at long range. I also just picked up some Badlands 140 BD-2's to try in my 7 Rem Mag with a 1-9 twist as well, but no info on them yet. Also, I shoot the 145 Cutting Edge Lazer's in my 7 RUM with awesome results but they seem to foul out my barrel faster than other coppers. Hope this helps and good luck. Jason

All,

I have a few rifles that need load development. That being said, I'd really like to try some of the pricey boutique mono bullets offered nowadays. I've heard enough fan fare to convince me I should try some out. The first rifle I will work on will be a 7 REM Mag with a 1-9" twist barrel. The intended purpose for this rifle, will be general MT big game use. I'm thinking 6-800 yards max range.

That being said, I'm not sure which brand to try first. I have experience with Barnes and love them. I am not opposed to going with the 145 LRX, but I'm looking, really, to try the new stuff. I'm interested in Hammer and Cutting Edge bullets at the moment. I'm not opposed to other brands, I've just had my eye on the two list above for a while. Any other suggestions are welcome.

No, I don't want to shoot Bergers, ELDX, etc. Please keep the conversation to monos.

Thanks in advance!!!
Hammer is just up the road in Somers. That's one of the reasons I've leaned towards their stuff. I've stopped in and talked to Steve about bullets a couple of times and he's pretty knowledgeable and great to talk to about bullets, guns, hunting, and other stuff.

I would have a serious look at these makers.
100% agree. While I tend to use them mainly in subsonics (because they make absolutely awesome mushroom subsonic expanders) I have used some of their high speed stuff in a 308 Win and they run great. I'll admit I'm normally a Hammer user but Makers is my solid #2 bullet in terms of volume shot.

If I lived in Missoula I'd take a drive up and talk to Steve Davis. In person!
Less than two hours away, well maybe not in a snowstorm...

Then I'd ask him for a job, then I'd spend too much money on four different calibers worth of bullets, then I'd go soak in the hot springs then I'd get after spring bear then i'd so some fishing....but I digress!!

Then I'd ask him for a job, then I'd spend too much money on four different calibers worth of bullets, then I'd go soak in the hot springs then I'd get after spring bear then i'd so some fishing....but I digress!!
I just looked at the GNP forecast for the fun of it. It is one of the most beautiful places on this planet IMO. I don't think I would plan a trip from Kalispell to GNP anytime soon.

Perhaps one day.