Bought a .270 Today

Awesome I probably need to get some RL26 as I have not done a load work up for my rifle yet but I do use mine for varmint/predator hunting it's my go to for everything

Im a .270 fan! Only one I've personally owned was a Cooper custom classic with an extraordinary piece of XXX+ wood. It really got the fire burning for true long range shooting when I was killing marmots out to 750 yards. It hurt me to think of messing that spectacular wood up and I sold it to fund a custom build, but that's a different story. I've been thinking I should have another and this photo of the 270 AI is probably the last straw in my hesitation.

I know what you mean ... follow your heart/gut feeling and enjoy it!

Take very long and very careful look at the .260 Remington--including Nosler's
Factory load, 140-grain Ballistic Tip at 3,000 fps leaves the .270 in the dust!

Sorry but you are going to have a hard time convincing most of us with your claim. As @Muddyboots noted, the .270 Win has extreme capacity advantage over the .260 Rem. I do not have a .260 Rem or .270 Win but I have their improved versions for visual comparison ...

6.5 CM vs .270 AI.jpg

Factory 6.5 CM vs .270 AI.

I have 2, but to say that there's not much difference in recoil is not correct in my opinion. 270 is much closer to a 30 ought 6 in recoil it is to a 6-5 Creedmoor.
A friend of mine made the same claim. He switched from an older 30-06 BDL with a wood stock, big Nikon scope in steel rings, etc., to a brand new .270 Kimber Montana with lightweight Talleys. Knocked a couple of pounds off, at least. He swore whoever said the .270 was a mild cartridge was crazy!

You will be amazed at the performance of your 270 using RL 26...if you can find it.
Yesterday my local supplier got in a load of powder. He was "allotted" by his main distributor TWO pounds of Retumbo. BUT, more important, he could NOT BUY any primers, and had NONE in stock.

Feenix: Can you share some performance for the .270AI with 150+ bullets? The .270 is my next build and the AI is huge possibility. Barrel length? I am going to go with at least 26" maybe even 27" to take advantage of RL26.
Thx!

OK, the average recoil on a .270 or even comparable 30-06 is around 20 ftlbs. You are shooting a high power rifle not a Daisy Red Ryder! If you take a 8.75 total weight rifle (rifle, scope, rings, bases and fully loaded in magazine) for a .270Win, 30-06 and 300WM and look at recoil, the .270 and 30-06 are virtually the same when comparing a 150 gr for the .270WIn to 165 gr for the 30-06 at about 21 ftlbs. The 300 WM with 200 gr comes in at 31+ ftlbs. Even if you skinny down the rifle weight, the recoil is not much different since it only goes up to 22 ftlbs.

Seriously, are folks thinking 21ftlbs of recoil is horrible? Once you break 30 ftlbs on recoil , yes, there is a huge difference in energy impact. If you are shooting a titanium then of course the recoil is gong to be higher. BUT you knew that going in!

Attachments

• .270Recoil.pdf
    20.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 30-06.Recoil.pdf
    20.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 300WM.Recoil.pdf
    21.3 KB · Views: 130
  • .270Recoil-8lbrifle.pdf
    20.6 KB · Views: 115
Anyone using RL26 with a 130 BT so far I like those bullets in my rifle it shoots them less than 3/4 in groups with factory ammo
Load data for the .270 with RL26 only shows 150 grain so probably far too slow of powder for 130 gr weight bullets. I have gotten good results with the Hornady 145 ELDX with RL26 as well.

Sorry but you are going to have a hard time convincing most of us with your claim. As @Muddyboots noted, the .270 Win has extreme capacity advantage over the .260 Rem. I do not have a .260 Rem or .270 Win but I have their improved versions for visual comparison" ... That .270 Imp. looks SWEET! RE

View attachment 222743
Factory 6.5 CM vs .270 AI.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.