Bought a .270 Today

Feenix: Can you share some performance for the .270AI with 150+ bullets? The .270 is my next build and the AI is huge possibility. Barrel length? I am going to go with at least 26" maybe even 27" to take advantage of RL26.
Thx!

I have a Ruger 77 tang safety that I built a couple of years ago, 26 inch Lilja barrel on it, blue printed action, trigger job, glass bedded and floated barrel and pillar bedded. Actually there are two .270AIs in the safe, I built one for my son as a Christmas present when I built mine. The rifle will shoot 1 inch or less two-shot groups at 300 yards consistently. The barrel has been contoured to the factory specs so it is a little light and will give fliers after the first two rounds. Presently getting 3300fps+ with the ABLRs, there's more to go with this just not had time to work with it. If you compare these ballistics to the .270 WSM and the .270 Weatherby it is kicking *** with about 25% less powder then the .270 Weatherby load. I would never consider anything less then a 26 inch barrel with this cartridge, need that length to get the performance out of the powder. I have deer hunted with the 26 inch barrel, it is easy to carry and no issues with the length. I don't think I would like a longer barrel then the 26 for my hunting purposes. I plan to try some 130 and 140 grain loads, they ought to be interesting, I'm suspecting they will be in the 3400-3600 fps range. The .270AI is a kick *** round, I am surprised that a company like Nosler or Barnes has not come up with the latest and greatest long range 1000 yard, anti tank, T REX killer .270 Ackley Improved round that we can read about for the next year; sort of like the .280 Ackley Improved. And.....I am by no means knocking the .280 AI. If you are not into reloading and fire forming brass, the .270 WSM is a worthwhile rounds to look at, especially with a 26 inch barrel.

Found out that my dad will be missing his first deer season in 60 years. He's 71 and won't be making it to the shack this season. I know he's concerned about Covid as he has COPD, stints in legs and heart, and numerous other health issues. I will be taking my .270 he bought me when I was 14 as a little tribute. I have a bad feeling he might not go again period. I owe all my gun addictions to my father and grandfather. I still remember the day we took the 700 mountain rifle out, I was on cloud 9. Great gun.

Found out that my dad will be missing his first deer season in 60 years. He's 71 and won't be making it to the shack this season. I know he's concerned about Covid as he has COPD, stints in legs and heart, and numerous other health issues. I will be taking my .270 he bought me when I was 14 as a little tribute. I have a bad feeling he might not go again period. I owe all my gun addictions to my father and grandfather. I still remember the day we took the 700 mountain rifle out, I was on cloud 9. Great gun.

My son and I are cancelling a deer hunt and a coyote hunt in Maine this year due to COVID. The last that I read Maine was 6th on the list for increased COVID case increases; I/we cannot take any chances because at this age there are not any pardons given by this virus!!! It's like messing with a mouse trap, once it snaps the party is over!! We both have a couple of .270 Ackley Improved Rugers that we built a couple of years ago. I'm 74 this month and I am not ready to hang it up as of yet. I focus on what I can do and not what I cannot do. I am in about the same physical condition as your dad, three stents in the heart, two rods and six screws holding my back together; getting old "ain't for sissies!! I have difficulty walking, so we bear hunt in September. Last year I hunted with an outfitter who provided heated shooting houses and 300-400 yard shots, and....I could drive right to the shooting house. I didn't harvest anything but had a great week playing with my toys!!!👍👍 The fact that your dad isn't going is a smart decision that "will" enable him to hunt next season. Good luck with your upcoming hunt, enjoy your hunt and take lots of photos so your dad can enjoy your hunt with you when you come home. For me this is what I would be looking forward to if my son went on a hunt without me, it would make me happy just to experience his trip through photos.

I've always been a fan of the .270 but haven't owned one in years. I've been piddling around my Hornady Ballistic app and comparing the .270 vs my 6.5 Creedmoor. One thing I've always liked about the .270 is how much performance it delivers for a semi mild recoil. I like the numbers a little better than the 6.5 CM. Plus the Tikka T3x Forest was being sold at cost so I got a deal. I also like the Tikka has a 22" barrel so good for the box blind and tree stand.

Anyone else a .270 fan?
Jack O'connor made a believer out of me. Love my model 70 classic sporter.

+1 on photos but also calls if you have service. I know I get real excited when my son calls me with a excited voice of nice deer kill along with the pics. Last year I was able to call him for a change!

I was 27 when I killed my first deer. My dad was 80 and was in the last year of his life. I immediately called him when I shot a young buck and said "dad I just killed a deer". I could tell he was proud. I mostly fished and played sports growing up with dad and we did occasional squirrel and dove hunting. He introduced me to the outdoors and he was proud I was carrying on that legacy.

I have a Ruger 77 tang safety that I built a couple of years ago, 26 inch Lilja barrel on it, blue printed action, trigger job, glass bedded and floated barrel and pillar bedded. Actually there are two .270AIs in the safe, I built one for my son as a Christmas present when I built mine. The rifle will shoot 1 inch or less two-shot groups at 300 yards consistently. The barrel has been contoured to the factory specs so it is a little light and will give fliers after the first two rounds. Presently getting 3300fps+ with the ABLRs, there's more to go with this just not had time to work with it. If you compare these ballistics to the .270 WSM and the .270 Weatherby it is kicking *** with about 25% less powder then the .270 Weatherby load. I would never consider anything less then a 26 inch barrel with this cartridge, need that length to get the performance out of the powder. I have deer hunted with the 26 inch barrel, it is easy to carry and no issues with the length. I don't think I would like a longer barrel then the 26 for my hunting purposes. I plan to try some 130 and 140 grain loads, they ought to be interesting, I'm suspecting they will be in the 3400-3600 fps range. The .270AI is a kick *** round, I am surprised that a company like Nosler or Barnes has not come up with the latest and greatest long range 1000 yard, anti tank, T REX killer .270 Ackley Improved round that we can read about for the next year; sort of like the .280 Ackley Improved. And.....I am by no means knocking the .280 AI. If you are not into reloading and fire forming brass, the .270 WSM is a worthwhile rounds to look at, especially with a 26 inch barrel.
The 270 is one of the vest all around cartridges out there in my opinion. I've killed Elk,Moose ,Mule and WhiteTail Deer with it.Its is underrated compared to the 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creedmoor is a good 1000 targe round and with good shot placement kill alot of big game.Its small diameter and fast speeds give it a tendency to go through without good mushrooming.
You choose a great rifle and riund.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.