I Bought a 6.5 Creedmoor!

Do you guys think that it's that much different than the 25-06 I hunt with now?
Deer and smaller at 350 yards or less. There seems to be more choices in ammo for the CM and it's cheaper than the 25-06. I might be wrong but I think it will be fine.

We've been hunting with the 6.5 cm for quite awhile. Lost track how many deer we've killed with them and I've killed 2 bears with one. Load it with a 140 grain bullet and it's a killer

Congrats! I've been a .260 guy for a long time, but picked up a 6.5 CM last year just because it's becoming very mainstream and easy to get factory ammo in a pinch. There has been a need for a factory backed 6.5 for a long time, and HDY filled that hole. Sorry Remington, but you had your chance and dropped the ball.

Do you guys think that it's that much different than the 25-06 I hunt with now?
Deer and smaller at 350 yards or less. There seems to be more choices in ammo for the CM and it's cheaper than the 25-06. I might be wrong but I think it will be fine.

Other than the amount of powder you are burning and slight elevation/drift differences, the deer won't know the difference. At short ranges (for this forum) you are splitting hairs less than 400yds.

Certainly, I hope you enjoy your new tool, not toy!
I gotta ask... why are folks getting the Creedmore over the PRC, with its' roughly 250fps advantage? If used on anything tough, this caliber could use the additional kinetic energy, IMO.

I think the Creedmoor PRC debate comes down to use. If you are going to shoot matches or more target shooting. Then the Creedmoor will double the barrel life. For a pure hunting gun, I'd absolutely jump to the PRC unless it was a recoil issue, ie first hunting rifle for a kid.

I have 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 6.5 Addiction in my family. All are great, but running the Addiction for matches (similar ballistics to the PRC, a bit less actually) it is harder to hold on target and burns barrels at the same speed as a 6.5x284. There is no free lunch. The Creedmoor and x47 don't jump as much and gives a lot more rounds per barrel under match conditions. That said I love my addiction.

My kid has a ruger in 6.5 creed. It just works. I didn't have to do ANY load development for it. Simply stuff a 143 and 4350 in it and sight it in. As to whether it's better than any of the similar cartridges-- 25-06, 270, etc. possibly a bit but a critter will not notice the difference at ranges you would hunt a creed anyway. I'll keep my 270 (and all my other toys) and my kid will shoot his creed until he wants to step up to a larger 30 or 338...

I bought it with little or no research? I shot Logan's several times and
I was surprised that it would shoot groups not just hit the target!
I saw one on GB and threw out a small bid and won it.
A total impulse buy....
I bought 3 Howa 6.5's....same as you... totally sweet impulse with great stock options!.Bought the GRS stock, big mistake for me.... totally right handed...no way for a leftie to use it...which led to the KRG STOCK AND CANADIAN FLAG CHASSIS....all impulse extremely accurate fun guns! Enjoy the heck out of yours!

I don't think you will gain anything at those distances over the 25. In fact to 350 I'd say the 25 would be my go to. But the creed shines with the shorter barrel. As opposed to the 25 needing more length to really shine

936AAE0D-D26A-4902-89BC-ED1235CFD93D.jpeg
Certainly, I hope you enjoy your new tool, not toy!
I gotta ask... why are folks getting the Creedmore over the PRC, with its' roughly 250fps advantage? If used on anything tough, this caliber could use the additional kinetic energy, IMO.
What about the 6.5x284 definitely faster than the creed I'm running 2980 with mine

I succumb to the dark side also. I just picked up my Bergara b-14 HMR yesterday. My choice was limited due to my being left handed. My only other choice was a .308.
If I would have had more choices I would have chosen the 260 Rem over the 6.5CM. Also the Bergara was my second choice. I wanted a Tikka T3x CT but they were not available in the USA! I installed a 20 MOA rail and I'm waiting on a scope for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.