BOTW 6.5mm 142gr. Berger vld?

I was doing some loading for a botw cooper rifle that I had on loan in 300 win mag, and that bullet was doing 3025fps out of the 26" barrel. It was a very Hot load but as this rifle was not for a customer but rather it was Jim Sessions own rifle its was ok. I noticed after 2 or 3 loadings the primer pocket was getting loose and was starting to show extractor marks. I plan on starting 3 grains lower and working up slowly with different primers and such, If I can get in the 2980 to 3000 fps range I would be very happy as long as it groups well and my ES's are low. might even try some retumbo to see what i can get out of that powder. now If my new barrel would just get here.

What makes these bullets any different from the current bullets jlk sells now? Or from bergers for that matter? Seems like they are just trying to market the same thing with a different name on it?

What makes these bullets any different from the current bullets jlk sells now? Or from bergers for that matter? Seems like they are just trying to market the same thing with a different name on it?

The 142 JLK is different from both the JLK and the Berger 140's. The higher JLK's BC of .640 does show up by impacting about 6" higher at 1000 yards then my 140's. I load my 140's 20-25FPS faster to get the same POI. This increase turns out to be consistent with the output from my Shooter program when I plug in the difference of the two BC's, .640vs.612. I was fortunate to get my hands on 200 of the 142 JLK's from BOTW a few years ago. I treat them like gold, they perform great on game and are exceptionally accurate.

Not trying to steal this post but I must expand on the 197 botw vld. this bullet is FREAKING AWESOME, I have heard of bullets that the wind just does'nt seem to effect well this is one of those bullets! just finished up putting together a semi custom Weatherby mark 5 and was out shooting the data for the turrets yesterday, and the wind was blowing from5 to 25 mph and shifting from my 9 oclock to a 6 oclock, just bad conditions to gather data in. I usually zero at 200 then my mid range target is at 400 and the far target is 800, well yesterday in these conditions this rifle and bullet combo shot a 5 shot group at the far range target that measured just over 3" and was only a 1/2 moa to the left of dead center when I walked up to check the point of impact my jaw just dropped I was stunned, I have a tough time shooting a group this tight in perfect conditions. the bullet leaves the muzzle at a crono'ed 3098 fps out of a 26' Wilson match grade barrel with just 14 moa dialed in the scope. I cant wait to get my new 300 win barrel next week so I can start playing with this bullet some more.

There is no magic involved in bucking wind. BC and velocity are the 2 SOLE factors that determin wind drift. A bullet with "X" velocity and "Y" BC will have "Z" drift in a given wind at a given distance. That's physics and the laws of physics don't bend.

Matrix makes a VERY nice 142 VLD as well......Rich

So Matrix has a 142 and a 160 that don't show up on their site?

I am also curious, can you purchase the BOTW 142 grainer as a component or do you have to buy the ammo? I didn't see them available separately on the site.

So Matrix has a 142 and a 160 that don't show up on their site?

I am also curious, can you purchase the BOTW 142 grainer as a component or do you have to buy the ammo? I didn't see them available separately on the site.

They WILL have them on their site soon I think. Call Marshal and tell him I sent you. He is a great guy and " I think" will be a great asset to us (Long Range Hunters)........Rich

Im pretty sure you can buy them as a component, I buy my 197 vlds from them, just give shane a call at best of the west

Shane said they will not be carrying the 142 grain 6.5 VLD's any longer since they signed on with Nosler and told me to just go to JLK.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.