6.5mm 130 berger hunting vld performance

Creedmoor shooter

Ok...... we bought into the berger hype and decided to give them a try. I'd had some in hand for years I just didn't like them because my previous 6.5 creed didn't like them. Fast forward to this year, my semi-custom savage loves them as well as My Dads tc icon precision hunter 6.5 creed. Muzzle velocity ouut of his 22 in is around 3000 fps. He shot a decent NH 10 point this morning at 40 yards that came on a dead run to a bleat can. Bullet hit a rib on the way in, causing a golf ball sized hole on the entry side of the rib cage. Destroyed the heart and lungs and I found the bullet in the hide on the off side. Total weight with some meat chunks that I couldn't get out was 32.5 grains. Pretty happy with its performance. Buck was down in 30yards.

I've read the 140gr Berger is more popular with the 6.5 CM shooters. A friend who doesn't hunt shoots the 130's in his Ruger Precision Rifle with sub-1/2 MOA. I'm going next month on a desert bighorn hunt with a friend who drew a tag after 23 years. He will hunt with a Hells Canyon Speed in 6.5CM and the 140 Bergers. This is my first time loading for the 6.5CM, this caliber shoots lights out.

I have a box of Berger 6.5 130's Hunting VLD coming for my 264wm...

I have all my brass processed and waiting...will do a meat test at the deer lease in two weeks...be it a hog or a deer.

Bought them for my Aoudad Sheep hunt in January. It will be my stalking gun. My spot and shoot (I hope to be a long range shot) will be with a 300wm pushing 168gr VLD's. It being a Mauser action I'm limited in my mag length so I can't go heavier.

Been getting range time in out to 600 yards, so that will be my limit on this hunt.

I hope the bullets perform as advertised!

I have a box of Berger 6.5 130's Hunting VLD coming for my 264wm...

I have all my brass processed and waiting...will do a meat test at the deer lease in two weeks...be it a hog or a deer.

Bought them for my Aoudad Sheep hunt in January. It will be my stalking gun. My spot and shoot (I hope to be a long range shot) will be with a 300wm pushing 168gr VLD's. It being a Mauser action I'm limited in my mag length so I can't go heavier.

Been getting range time in out to 600 yards, so that will be my limit on this hunt.

I hope the bullets perform as advertised!
This one appeared to work as advertised. It shed about 80% of its weight which is what the advertise.

My RBROS 6.5X47 shoots the Berger 130 hunting really good at just under 3000 fps. I use this gun mainly for practice, but am hoping to hunt with it in Texas this January. Will do a comparison on the 130 Berger and the 130 AccuBond out of my two X47's.

My wife smashed a nice Texas WT buck with the 6.5 130 Accubond in a 264wm...2nd weekend of the season just over 3100fps at 307 yards...hit shoulder going in...vitals were jello...exited just behind shoulder blade...exit hole was pretty small...bullets are a lot tougher than BT's

I have killed somewhere between one and two dozen white tail with the 130 Accubond out of my 264 Win mag at MV 3350 fps from the 27 3/4" barrel with Retumbo. Shots have been as close as 25 yards out to a touch over 500 yards. Same results DRT. Bullet goes in a should scrambles the vitals and exits about the size of a nickel. I have only recovered one that was shot into a buck at 111 yards almost facing me. It smashed left shoulder and bullet was found against smashed ball socket in right ham. Weight was 87 grs and it was a text book mushroom. Good bullet in my book.

I've shot 185 gr berger hunting vld's out of my 300 wsm for years. Dead serious I've never had a deer that I hit take a step. Every single one has been DRT. Just collapse. They are perfect for white tail. You don't need excessive penetration, they are very thin skinned. And the internal damage is devastating.

Here's the bullet

Attachments

• 20171129_154620.jpg
    20171129_154620.jpg
    626.8 KB · Views: 594
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts