Bore snakes

Wirlwind, I think I've tried every chemical that says it takes out lead and only one worked - Outers Foul-Out, which is just a plating set up, just in reverse. Problems? Oh yeah, it can be messy. It requires different chemicals for lead and copper and I've no idea if they still sell them. The bore has to be sealed on the bottom and the barrel filled with the correct fluid, then a rod is dropped in and the wires hooked up. It does work like a charm, tho! I got mine when I still had a S&W M19 that used to attract lead put of thin air! That rod would come out looking like a fuzzy squirrel tail! Chemicals? Ha! Not a one works. I've got a bottle of Shooters Choice Lead Remover that sucks! It actually only works if you have a nice layer of copper fouling under the lead. Oh well, out come the bronze brushes, dang it.

I tried some stuff called CopperMelt years ago from a guy in Canada for removing copper fouling. We ended up on the outs after he sent an order late and it sat in the post office for nearly a month while I was overseas... leaking! I ended up with about a 1/3 of the stuff I ordered and was miffed to say the least. He said it was 100% the PO's fault... except they didn't put the stuff in containers that leaked. Oh well. It was the best copper remover I've ever used. The big test? I put a drop of the stuff on a chunk of copper pipe and it tried to eat the whole thing! I've done the same test with the lead removers and not a one even made the least little mark, even on pollished lead! Thing is, many of the newer chemicals on the market work just about as well, so it's no biggie that Coppermelt is out of business.

There was an old tale (probably from the military) that said you had to run a brush up and down the bore once for every shot, which is clearly not the way it should be done, especially on a custom barrel. No idea where it actually originated but there are a few guys out there who still go by it, including my step-dad. I never do anything beyond getting it clean. Anything after that is a waste of time.
I will also mention that anyone who doesn't use a bore guide while scrubbing out a barrel is taking a big risk. Scraping your cleaning rod on anything inside your rifle is not a good idea. It's funny I've got an old multi-piece military cleaning rod - that's made of steel! Yikes, I can't imagine what it would do to a barrel & action but it wouldn't be good!
I like Hart barrels, I have one on my .308. #5.5, 1:14 twist. Shoots better than me. I hope to get back to load development this summer, after my back yard dries up so I don't sink up to my ankles in mud! Between all my shooting projects and my ultralight, i am definetly kept from roaming the streets!
Cheers,
crkckr

I don't clean mine to 100% bare metal. I think the rough or low spots just refill
the next time you shoot it? 85 or 90% clean seems to work fine for me?
If I wanted to use enough 7.62 it would get to bare metal ..but why?

KyCarl, it's kind of hard to tell exactly where you are when it comes to that 85 or 90%. You can never be sure if it's 90% or maybe 75%. Take it all the way clean and you know exactly where you are. Two or three foulers and you're right where you want to be, starting out the same each time. Plus, because I'm using moly plated bullets I don't have to clean it down to bare metal as often. I did the last time since it was going in the safe for the winter... I'm pretty much a fair weather shooter most of the time, unless I'm going to kill something and that just doesn't happen these days as much as years past.
Cheers,
crkckr

I've tried it that way but the accuracy is the same either way? So why bother?
You just super clean it and then re-foul it back to where I'm starting...
Once you get to know each rifle you can tell by "feel" just where it is by pushing a patch through.

Last edited:
Well I have to disagree 100%. Used then for 15 years on nothing but BR quality barrels (Krieger 15 different rifles 30 tubes) and I have a bore scope before you dispute this and it does not lie. You have some trashy tubes that are way too soft or something else is horribly wrong. There is no way that bronze will scratch barrel steel unless something is terribly amiss. Stainless now that is a no no!!!

Read and learn. https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/learndetail.aspx?lid=13001

The rifles I refer to above Speedy built 13 of them.

This is an incredible reloading guide. Went to the link, after reading the cleaning process I copied and pasted it to my documents. I've been shooting and cleaning rifles for ever, I have never heard or read about using soap and hydrogen peroxide for cleaning a bore. Every so often I find an article like this that makes reading all of the threads worth taking the time to read. Thanks

This is an incredible reloading guide. Went to the link, after reading the cleaning process I copied and pasted it to my documents. I've been shooting and cleaning rifles for ever, I have never heard or read about using soap and hydrogen peroxide for cleaning a bore. Every so often I find an article like this that makes reading all of the threads worth taking the time to read. Thanks

The patch will have a bunch of blue foam in front of it when pushing it through. :) When I do this it is really only for heavily fouled (copper) tubes. Unfortunately fouling is layered if it is severe and the rifle has not been cleaned regularly. This does work and it works very well.

My tubes do not change POI much at all from clean cold (bore scope verified) to fouled hot so I always clean to bare metal so I am working from a known condition. These are not factory tubes either. If you look down a Krieger with the bore scope for example then a Big Green or Ruger it will scare the hell out of you.. :) :) :)

Heard from a friend to try wipe out patch out, never going to use anything else again. It works great, bought the accelerator but don't need it. Have a brand new bottle of sweets 7.62 that i will never open.

The patch will have a bunch of blue foam in front of it when pushing it through. :) When I do this it is really only for heavily fouled (copper) tubes. Unfortunately fouling is layered if it is severe and the rifle has not been cleaned regularly. This does work and it works very well.

My tubes do not change POI much at all from clean cold (bore scope verified) to fouled hot so I always clean to bare metal so I am working from a known condition. These are not factory tubes either. If you look down a Krieger with the bore scope for example then a Big Green or Ruger it will scare the hell out of you.. :) :) :)

I shoot Barnes bullets out of my rifles most of the time. They get really copper fouled after a day at the range. I use Tetra Bore cleaner and the patches come out purple, but it goes on forever and ever with the scrubbing. Cannot wait to try this method

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.