Bore snakes

Pedro 71

Do these things really work? As soon as the weather in MT moderates, I will be breaking in a new barrel. I am hoping that these things really work and I could use a snake to clean the barrel between shot rounds, and then give the barrel a thorough cleaning with a standard brush and patches at home after the break in session.

Thanks

Do these things really work? As soon as the weather in MT moderates, I will be breaking in a new barrel. I am hoping that these things really work and I could use a snake to clean the barrel between shot rounds, and then give the barrel a thorough cleaning with a standard brush and patches at home after the break in session.

Thanks

This is what I use them for and it is compact and does a good job for what I want it to do. I don't apply anything to the snake, it is just used to sweep the barrel free of the lose carbon and powder debris so the next round doesn't carry it down the barrel and use it as an abrasive.

I don't use the bore snake for break-in because I want to see and feel the patches for improvement.

J E CUSTOM

Just curious-- how can you use the snake if you get something in the barrel? Doesn't the snake have to get all the way through in order to pull the rest through?

Used on hunt to remove dust and small plant debris. Anything big like mud (which shouldn't happen) I carry a cleaning rod and bore cleaners in the truck. I cover my muzzle with the finger of a nitrile glove and rubber band, but some of my hunt friends don't.

I use snakes if my shotguns during the season to clean out fouling and debris. I also use them on my varmint rifles during day shoots where I need to get the large buildup of fouling out to regain accuracy. You'll still need a real one piece cleaning rod.

Last edited:

Thanks
I had a gunsmith tell me along time ago that wire brushes were not good to use in rifle barrels. He said that over a period of time the brushes would start to wear small grooves in the barrel of your rifle. He recommended patches only. I have adhered to his advice for many years and have never had any problems with my rifle barrels. Some of my older weapons are just as accurate now as they were when I bought them many moons ago and look brand new with a bore scope. For that reason I don't use bore snakes (there are wire brushes embedded in them). If I use a brush it will be plastic but that is a rarity for me. Normally I only use patches. But, hey, each to his own.

I would not use one for a break in of for a good cleaning. They work good for field use, But a one piece rod (stay away from those screw together ones!), correct size jag, bore guide, good cleaning solution and a lot of patches is the only way I would break in a new barrel, or for a good end of day cleaning. Also, it seems to help with cleaning when the barrel is a little warm. I clean at the range and leave the bore 'wet' before I go home. Once at home I clean thoroughly.

I think that Bore Snakes have a purpose for the hunter/shooter, and could be used to break in a barrel, however I believe that there are a lot better choices than a Bore Snake. As others have recommended get a Dewey or Tipton carbon fiber rod or coated rod. "Once" your barrel is broken in, perhaps the Bore Snake would be a portable choice to clean powder or residue out, however if you have the ability to use the carbon fiber rod there's less chance of damaging your barrel. If I'm in the field I always have an Otis portable cleaning kit (with the appropriate jags that I am hunting with inside) in my backpack in case the rifle gets dropped and the end of the barrel becomes obstructed.

The only thing I use a bore snake on is my shotguns, after I spray G-96 down the bore and leave it for 2 hours, I pull a snake through the bore 3-4 times, chamber to choke, it takes plastic and crud both out. But I never use a bore snake on rifles or handguns.
And I sure do not spray any lubricant like Break Free down a bore, saw what it does to a match gun in a "pink slip" head to head match on the range where I was the Match Director / Range Master.
I use and reccomend Sweet Shoter on the match guns I build. Plus I do reccomend a breakin for new barrels or barrels I have cleaned back to bright steel with something like a Foul Out, a reverse electro plating process to remove copper, used to be called a 5 cent Foul Out but now costs about a dollar.
Ed

Bore snakes are nearly impossible to keep centered, therefore abraiding the crown to whatever degree the carbon and crud is embedded in the line. As a true Emergency use, of course, but definitely NO otherwise, especially break in. If 2+ moa is fine by you, have at it. A crown is almost sacred.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.