Bore Cleaning Foam

Have used it and works well in smooth barrels. Not a good product if scrubbing or heavy copper fouling is present. Does not work if you have a muzzle break on your barrel.

Good luck...

Jerry

Ian M,

There was a big thread over on the Accuratereloding.com forums about wipeout... Most people liked it, but it seems that a few people got a little careless and it came in contact w/ their (wood) stocks. It either a) stripped the finish right off, or b) softened the bedding area quite a bit. Seems like it took more than just momentary contact, but it is a risk to be aware of.

Jerry,

Just curious: why no good w/ a brake or w/ copper fouling?

Thanks,

Monte

Monte, the reason it didn't work for me was that the nozzle has to be placed firmly against the crown of the barrel of else the foam sprays all over the place. In the 22 cal, it does not want to go down the barrel (under pressure, expanding foam) too easily. With a muzzle break, you can not get the nozzle against the crown. Tried the little tube extension and just ended up with a mess.

It does work on light copper fouling but with "rougher" barrels, it just takes so many applications that it becomes very slow. Quicker just to swab or brush with CR10 or with strong ammonia and be done.

Tried it enough to know it didn't work for me. Not saying it is not a good product. Just not the one I would recommend for non match (smooth, low copper fouling) barrels.

I also don't use Butch's Bore shine for similar reasons. Many bench shooters swear by it. I found that after it "cleaned" my bore, I could use Barnes CR10 and clean out a whole bunch more copper fouling. I shoot a lot of production and military rifles.

Good luck...

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.