Boot Suggestion

Blacktail

I pack in for archery elk in real rugged country. I've used a few and no matter what I do blister. Currently using crispi and kennetrek unins. I'm getting ready to do the train to hunt challenge and obviously not using these. Looking for sthing light with support as there is a meat pack event and a 2 mile challenge where u do burpees etc with a 25 lb pack. Not sure if I should go with a boot or more of a trail running shoe. Was looking at the UA speed freak Bozeman. Maybe for this and elk any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated we usually cover about 4-8 miles a day hunting and its pretty up and down and a ton of side hulling. Thnx

Subscribed to this thread. i am interested to hear others opinions, last year i dropped $500 on a pair of whites that still give me blisters.

Im glad im not the only one who has problems finding a good boot.

I think i have to go more towards a pair of keens! i found myself wearing those more then anything last archery season.

Heard nothing but great things about the Salomon Quest 4D.......light (2.6 lbs/pair), supportive, waterproof, and breathable. I had a few buddies recently get these after hearing the praise by many and now they are singing the high praises. One gets blisters even on broken-in boots, but said the first scouting trip he was on, he did 5 miles in them and said he was blister free and feet and heels felt fine after. Only complaint on thee boots that I have heard, like most "waterproof" boots, is that they aren't 100% waterproof in extreme conditions. So unless you are going to be using them in extreme down pours, you should be good to go.

I have three different pairs of Vasques that I wear for different temp/wet conditions. Of all the boots I've ever worn they break in the easiest and are very well made. I have horrible ankles too from decades of injuries and they offer enough support to keep me climbing even in rough mountain terrain.

Like bicycle seats; everyone has a different shaped rear. Feet are the same. However I don't know what to suggest except Lowa since you have already tried a couple of the top ones out there.

I have the Uninsulated Kenetrek boots and need nothing else. Perfect fit, comfort and never a blister.

Problems with boots can usually be traced to one of three sources.
1. Improper fit
2. Improper choice of socks or poorly fitting socks.
3. Under or over tightening the laces
No matter how much you spend on a pair of boots, if those issues aren't properly addressed they're gonna be uncomfortable.

I used to wear danners, the grouse model to be exact and it was dependent on socks and insoles to get them to fit well. I have kenetrek hardscrabbles and the 600 gram insulated boots and they are working great for my hunting use. I also have lowa elite deserts for summer hiking and backcountry fishing I do, they are light and cool, but the flex on the soles is not much so it depends on your feel and fit. For me and what you describe I would wear my Lowas or some merrells

Being a military guy i am partial to the Rocky SV2 boot. Ive put this boot through hell, literally. Ruck march after Ruck march, many times with near 100 lbs load for extended miles in horrible terrain. Not your typical mountain boot but it gets my nod for everything. Its the only boot ill wear anymore, i like them that much.

gun)

I will second the Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots. I have had mine for a year now with no issues. I bought them for backpacking yet found I liked them so much I wore them during hunting season this past year as well. They are absolutely the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. They are very supportive yet flexible enough that I wore them rock climbing in Utah last spring and was able to chimney climb slot canyons and scramble up an down rock faces easily. They are also warm with proper socks. Never had any blisters or other foot issues wearing them.

Dirty Steve

Ive had many different types of boats and I hate to say it but about two years ago I purchased the Cabalas boa light weight boats. Most comfortable boots I have ever owned. No I loved them so much I bought the 400 gram ones and I'm not so happy with them. But as it stands the light weight ones are my favorite. I even wear them to work. Maybe worth a look.

I've owned enough pairs of boots to open a store. Cabela's, Rocky, Irish Setter, Lacrosse, Salomon, Lowa, Kamik, Hanwag and Meindl. I have to admit that some of the foreign brands have it down to a science. I presently work and live in Germany so I get some good deals but don't go cheap on your feet. Of the boots I've owned to date, my best, most comfortable boots are the Hanwag with Meindl, Lowa and Saloman not far behind...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.