Boot Suggestion

Heard nothing but great things about the Salomon Quest 4D.......light (2.6 lbs/pair), supportive, waterproof, and breathable. I had a few buddies recently get these after hearing the praise by many and now they are singing the high praises. One gets blisters even on broken-in boots, but said the first scouting trip he was on, he did 5 miles in them and said he was blister free and feet and heels felt fine after. Only complaint on thee boots that I have heard, like most "waterproof" boots, is that they aren't 100% waterproof in extreme conditions. So unless you are going to be using them in extreme down pours, you should be good to go.

Im on my second pair. Comfort? Awesome. Support? Off the chart! Waterproof? If its wet wear Gators and your feet will stay dry. Love mine.

I've had really good luck with Zamberlans. I wear the uninsulated with a good mireno wool sock.

Here's another vote for the Salomon 4d. Just got back from 2 weeks in Alaska. They are light,waterproof,and very comfortable. The sizing is spot on and the toe has lots of room. I'd suggest getting better insoles.

Quest 4D's, epic fail of the water test at a few months use.

00small21546325_zpsmjepp6sc.jpg

Lowa Cevedale Pro's, epic fail of the water test at 2 months and less than 25 miles.

IMG_1260_zps02tjvqpt.jpg

The Cevedale's replaced the Quest 4D's, which replaced 2 pair of Lowa renegades in succession, which replaced Lowa Zephyr, which replaced Vasque Breeze, etc, etc.
If it isn't rubber, it won't be waterproof for long; the reason I only buy from REI.

Quest 4D's, epic fail of the water test at a few months use.

00small21546325_zpsmjepp6sc.jpg

Lowa Cevedale Pro's, epic fail of the water test at 2 months and less than 25 miles.

IMG_1260_zps02tjvqpt.jpg

The Cevedale's replaced the Quest 4D's, which replaced 2 pair of Lowa renegades in succession, which replaced Lowa Zephyr, which replaced Vasque Breeze, etc, etc.
If it isn't rubber, it won't be waterproof for long; the reason I only buy from REI.

Well golly! Are you duck hunting in Lake Erie or gator hunting in the Louisiana swamps? After treking for weeks through the rain forests in Panama, even my crappy jungle boots didn't look that bad :D

In the last 6 years I've had a pair of asolo sasslongs and a pair of kenetrek hard scrabbles. Superfeet insoles in both and good wool socks. Never had a blister.

Salomon quest are awesome. I use them all the time. I'm hiking grand canyon with them in january. That will be true test

View attachment 54909Said it earlier: Hanwag, Meindl, Saloman, Lowa. Have used these brands for years, presently they are all sitting in my hunting gear room so I can still vouch for their excellent qualities. For me there is no single brand that does it all, all of the time. Only the conditions, terrain and your feet can help you determine the right boot for any particular hunt or circumstance. :cool:

P.S. The past couple of weeks the temps were a moist 30-35 degrees here in Germany and I was on drive hunts for deer and boar in... Cabelas and Kamiks. Didn't hurt my contributions to the take! Do your feet a favor and give them a little freedom of choice! :D

Attachments

• DSCF2201.jpg
    DSCF2201.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF2120.jpg
    DSCF2120.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Stiefel Frankonia Meindl GTX.jpg
    Stiefel Frankonia Meindl GTX.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 99
I have been wearing the Hanwag Tatra Top GTX for the last 2 years and really like them. I only walk about 300 miles a year in them so I am no expert but my feet really like them.

I almost bought a pair of Kennetrek boots at a dealers booth during NFR in Vegas, but shied away when the salesman said 50-100 mile break in, coupled with how very stiff the boot was. I've read about zero break in on Zamberlan, Crispi and Meindl, but looks like online purchasing only for those. Currently use Danners and they have been good all around boots, but wanting to treat myself to something nice.....

Re: Boot Suggestion ("MAGIC" INSOLES)

1. Go to REI and get the $40. heat forming insoles.There are 3 thicknesses. Get the thinest ones in your size range.

2. Remove your current insoles

3. Use your current insoles to trim the new insoles to size. Try in your boots to be sure they fit.

4. Follow heating directions for either conventional oven (200 F.) or convection oven (175 F.) .

5. Lay new insoles FACE DOWN on a rack in the oven so you can see the small white dot on one of them thru the oven window with the oven light on.

6. When the white dot changes to black remove the new insoles, put them in your boots and, wearing your normal hiking sox, get in the boots as fast as possible, lace them up and stand still in them for several minutes. (5 minunites seems to work best for me)

7.If you can, keep the boots on and take a hike in them.

These insoles have now conformed to your feet and I doubt you will ever again have blisters on your foot soles. I haven't had blisters of any kind in 3 pairs of boots with these insoles. The first time I was very skeptical but a 40 mile backpack in Utah's Coyote Gulch convinced me. I wish to hell I'd had these on the Applachian Trail years ago!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.