Black Bear Cal. question

Rimfire

Not long range but I have the chance to hunt black bear in PA and the shot would be under 100 yards more likely 25-50 yards. Can't use a long range rig so it leaves me with a 32 Win Special with a 1-5x or a 12 gauge slug gun. Not a big deal if it's a 250 lb bear but by chance a large PA bear shows up I want to hit it hard enough.

If your 12 gauge is accurate and you have the right slugs it is very deadly. Just be careful with slugs to get something designed for penetration not a deer load that expands too fast. I tried 5 types recently but can't find the info right now. I think this was the one I liked best:

Premier Ammo 12 Ga 2-3/4 1oz Copper Solid Sabot Slug Lead-Free Box of 5

I haven't tried this on game. Just for accuracy and expansion on water jugs. With a TSX type slug I'd trust a 12 ga against a very big bear.

The 32 win special will do the job but to me is half the gun of a 12 ga slug.

Last edited:
Either weapon will be fine. Black bears do not take that much killing to put them down. At the ranges you described the thirty-two would be great. I live in Idaho and have killed 6 bears. One was with a 6mm. He went 45 yards. Good shot placement is the key. I carry a 7mm mag now but it is just because of all the dang grizzly's here. My rifle of choice would be a 25-06.
Good luck, Kirk

Got my bear this spring with a 45-70, 405gr rem soft point (custom load,about 1700fps). The distance was 75 feet!! Was at upper position thant the bear, take a neck-spine shot at the shoulder junction.... Blown out about 3 1/2 inch of the spine!!!!!!!

If not long range shot both of your choice will be good. Just practice and our bear will be down fast.

Chance are that your bear is alwredy down? How dos your hunt wen?

I use a 12 gauge with 3" Winchester partition gold. At that range I have broken both front shoulders on 300+lb bear with exit and creates a tremendous amount of shock compared to any other shotgun shell I have ever heard of.

Thanks guys, last minute change. I got invited to a 2nd location, long range camp:). Made my choice easy, took the 338 Norma. No bear but great time and country.

i would recommend the slug gun, 3" brieneke black magics if your gun can shoot 3". They are very devistaing round on black things with fangs,and claws. This is the round i carry here in AK, there are plenty of blackies have fallen to these wonderful rounds. Also look for the federal they shoot good also. My camp gun is a marine grade 870 with 18" barrell it is not a precision gun but out to 100 yards with factory bead sight i can hit a group size of the end of a beer can with the brienekes. The 1oz+ really wakes them up. hopes this helps:D

I have lost 2 bears with a 32 front shoulder shots so I switched to 444 marlin.
I have used it from NB to Alberta for Blacks under 150 yard and haven't lost one with it yet.

I also have use the 12 guage rifled slugs out of tree stands with great success.

While most black bears are only around 150 lbs. PA bears can run very large. I just moved from PA and bears 500 lbs and more are taken every year. There is a big difference taking on a black bear that size over an average sized bear. PA bears like to hang out in very thick heavy cover so both for recovery and stopping the bear quickly more is better! I carried an Ithica Deerslayer III with Dixie Terminator slugs.

DixieSlugs Products

Dixie Slugs Terminator 12

Bullet Name:
Dixie Slugs Terminator 12
Bullet Weight:
730.00 grains
Bullet Diameter:
0.730 inches
Muzzle Velocity:
1200.00 ft/sec

pictures20070610168mi4.jpg

Dixie Slugs Penetration -

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.