Bitten by the rifle building bug!

I really can no longer say that I 'have to have' another rifle. It is all about want and feeding the addiction. So, my latest project is a Savage 110 (non-accutrigger). It is currently chambered in 270 Win, with a sporter weight barrel. The barrel and action have really nice gloss bluing on them, which I am thinking should stay the way it is. I am thinking that I am going to build it in 300 PRC or 6.5x284. The idea being to build a medium distance Elk / Occassional long range target rifle out of it. All of my recent purchases have been Varmint Weight barrels to add stiffness, and cut down on recoil. I am ready to order my barrel and wondered if I could get a few opinions on what contour you would like to see on this rifle, if it were yours. I may build it, load for it, make it shoot, take it on a hunt, and then maybe sell it. So, I don't want to install something that is only attractive/functional for me. I also don't want to start a caliber debate, if possible. I've got other rifles in quite a few of the calibers that surround these two, and I am making my decision based on availability of good factory ammo, and pure performance toward the intended use mentioned above. Let's hear it!

progressive barrel twist

Savage 10/Blackhole Weaponry 6.5 x 284 barrel. Rock River Operator Stock, Leupold Mark 4 Scope, MDT LSS Chassis, Atlas Bipod.
View attachment 125328

Waiting on delivery of an LSS XL Gen 2, for my 10 FCP. Already received their fixed stock. Those BW barrels are truly great. I bought an 18" 1:8 from them and they tricked me with free bait. Enclose with the barrel was a free stripped AR upper. It sat in the safe for two years and suddenly became a 20" 1:8 rifle.

I really can no longer say that I 'have to have' another rifle. It is all about want and feeding the addiction. So, my latest project is a Savage 110 (non-accutrigger). It is currently chambered in 270 Win, with a sporter weight barrel. The barrel and action have really nice gloss bluing on them, which I am thinking should stay the way it is. I am thinking that I am going to build it in 300 PRC or 6.5x284. The idea being to build a medium distance Elk / Occassional long range target rifle out of it. All of my recent purchases have been Varmint Weight barrels to add stiffness, and cut down on recoil. I am ready to order my barrel and wondered if I could get a few opinions on what contour you would like to see on this rifle, if it were yours. I may build it, load for it, make it shoot, take it on a hunt, and then maybe sell it. So, I don't want to install something that is only attractive/functional for me. I also don't want to start a caliber debate, if possible. I've got other rifles in quite a few of the calibers that surround these two, and I am making my decision based on availability of good factory ammo, and pure performance toward the intended use mentioned above. Let's hear it!
It's hard to be a good 6 mm for versatility if you want to shoot the gun a lot and you like hitting small targets at long distances and blowing things up a 6 mm has a huge variety of bullets available from 55 grain to maybe a 115 or 117 grains. In I243 Ackley improved. It's a shorter case in a shorter action than a 6 mm 284 and it's right there . You can use hodgdon performance powder Because of the short fat powder column. And you probably be shooting as fast or faster than a 6 mm 2 84 with less powder. I would do a 26 or 27" bbl Not lighter than Remington sendero profile but I really like my Winchester light varmint target barrel contour a straight taper a little heavier than asendero but a sendero will work without added weight. Defiant action. Stockys long range polymer stock or manners. Timmy trigger Calvin elite set at 1 or 1 in a corner pounds. JP enterprises 3 port compensator Compensator or eliminator. You will learn to love the eliminator but the 3 port is almost as good. That's all

Bug? Done about a couple dozen so far. My kids and grandkids help me keep the safe empty though. The 6.5/284 in a sporter contour might be what you want if you are going to carry it in the mounains. I carried a couple of 26" varmint contours out west and it sucks. The balance is worse than the weight.
Here's a tip take a couple of each the prc & the 6.5/284 and see if they might feed from the 270 mag from the getgo.
If your 270 is an old stagger feed finding new/used mag parts is next to impossible.
Stock choice is pretty good. Boyd's laminates (which need pillars & bedding),
B&C medalist spotter with full aluminum block (decent choice for mt. rifle). A host of others. The Boyd's thumbhole (I have 2) look very nice if you plan resale. But for a "jump" shooting rifle the safety operation is very awkward.
Finally I would go shoot the 270 and see if is worth buying the loading equipment. There are a limited amount of good bullets available for it but for your use a mid range elk rifle it may just fit your bill & the blueing stays intact.
Have fun whatever you decide.

Couldn't find a buyer for the right price on my WBY 338-378,so its now at a WBY authorized gunsmith turning it into a 257 WBY Mag with a Bartlein BBL . I can hardly wait,for sure this is my last rifle.

So I am currently in the middle of a 6.5x284 Norma build for the exact same type of rifle your wanting. Mid eange elk and occasional target shootin. Mine is going on a LAW M704 action, and a greyboe terrain stock. I decided on the #5 Krieger because its a bit lighter than the Varmint countour for packing around. #5s come in at 4lbs on a 27" blank and it will be finished at 26" with slow spiral flutes. Probably looking at just at 3.75 once its chanbered and fluted. Also look into greyboe stocks, they are coming out with Savage Inlets end of Summer 2019. Im definitely getting one for my 25-06 tactical.

Instead of building a whole new rifle, go switch barrels on what you already have, then you can get 3-4 more barrels at least!

Why not get the best of both worlds (stiffness and lite) and go carbon. A Proof or Christensen barrel. A Christensen will shoot bout like 3" of steel in my experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.