Got the long range bug bad!!!!!

Maq Attaq

I found this site when I did a google search on ballistics on a .308 round for the new rifle I had aquired.(Rem 308 VLS). After reading through many of the threads, my mind started to get ahead of me. I never really thought too much about long range shooting or hunting. Most everything was within 300 yds and that was reaching out. I do not have a 1000 yd range close to me but at the farm we hunt I know we can get out to atleast 500 yds. So now I have gone through my safe and have decided that I have 4 candidates for the LR game. So here they are.

1. Remington .308 VLS / 26" BBarrel / VX II 3.5 x 12 x44mm.
2. T/C Encore .25-06 / 26" BBarrel / VX III 4.5 x 14 x50mm.
3. Sako .300 win mag / VX II 3 x 9 x 40mm
4. Remington 700 XCR 7mm mag / VX III 4.5 x 14 x 50 Il rec.

So now my plans are the following,

1. Change the scope on the .308 to a viper 6 x 20 x 50 with the Target turrets
2. Leave the .25-06 alone.
3. The Sako is 30 years old and do not know the model...it hadnt been out of the safe in a few years..this beauty deserves new glass. What do I put on it???
4. Send the scope on the 7mag to leupold and get custom turrets.

I do not reload...I am shooting Hornaday 155 gr BTHP in the 308. Hornaday 117 gr SST in the 25-06, i have 160 gr Barnes TXS in the 7 mag and cant remember what i shot in the 300.....

So lets here any suggestions on the above.......Thanks

If that 300 is a Sako Finnbear you already have all you need to -start- in on the L/R game. I haven't seen one yet that didn't live up to its sub MOA guarantee.
Change scopes with the 7 mag or the T/C 25-06. Send the VX-III into Leupold custom shop for turrets (not an expensive thing at all) then mount the scope on the Sako, & never look back.
If you wanna shoot box ammo with high b.c. bullets, HSM ammo with Bergers, or Federal ammo with Nosler Accubonds are great choices.
If that baby is a Finnbear that's what I'd do in a heartbeat!!!

If that 300 is a Sako Finnbear you already have all you need to -start- in on the L/R game. I haven't seen one yet that didn't live up to its sub MOA guarantee.
Change scopes with the 7 mag or the T/C 25-06. Send the VX-III into Leupold custom shop for turrets (not an expensive thing at all) then mount the scope on the Sako, & never look back.
If you wanna shoot box ammo with high b.c. bullets, HSM ammo with Bergers, or Federal ammo with Nosler Accubonds are great choices.
If that baby is a Finnbear that's what I'd do in a heartbeat!!!

I've looked all over this rifle and can't find the model. My BIL bought it new in 82 or 83. I bought it from him in 95....He thinks it's a finnbear...

WOOOOOHOOOO!!!! Hopefully it shoots like every other finnbear I've shot.
Your Remmy will have more options for add ons, aftermarket parts, stocks etc, but if that Sako shoots like I'm figuring it will you won't have to put much if any $ out for a BUTT KICKIN starter L/R rig! I'm crossing my fingers for you bud. Those ol' finnbears shoot like nobodys business. I hope yours holds true to that ledgend.

1. Remington .308 VLS / 26" BBarrel / VX II 3.5 x 12 x44mm.

Get the scope on this one changed and you'll be fine to go. Also....why not reload? Doing it for the 308 alone and you'll have a LD tack driver with that combo.

I had mine rebarreled to .260 and its MUCHO easier to shoot/ No 1000 yd range near me either and only on occasions can I shoot the 500 and 600 yd range...so Im stuck at 300 max the majority of the time

I will eventually reload. havent begun to think about that yet. ..I plan to put the Vortex Viper on the 308.

Still cant find the words finnbear on the Sako...but it looks just like the pictures of the FB I googled. Definitly ordering new glass for it.

Any comments on the 7 or 25-06 for long range?????

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.