What got you interested in long range hunting?

I don't hunt; I'm just not into gutting the animal, dressing it out and packing it for miles back to the truck. I moved to Nevada from Northern Virginia so I could have a place to shoot. All the land in Virginia has been owned by somebody else for 300 years, and they do not want you or your ugly black rifle on their land. I moved to rural Nevada in Fall 2004 so I could be close to the desert where there are no fences, signs, gates, rules, fees, hours of operation or RSOs to get in the way of the lead flyin' toward its mark. With tens of thousands of free & open BLM land just a few miles from where I live, there is no reason to not want to shoot as far as a bullet will go...

I grew up hunting Coues deer in Mexico and there are tons of deer there, 200m shots are very common so its a lot easier than here on AZ. Here we have way less deer and close shots under 300 aren't very common, its not easy to get closer so had to learn to shoot further.

My max range for now is now 600m and that's pretty much all I need for coues deer, the high winds are tricky so always need to watch for those. For Javelina and Mulies here shots tend to be under 300m where wind really doesn't affect much.

But the Coues is really what has me on the long range.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts