Help Building Rifle

Wapiti07

Hello all. I've been browsing the forum for a couple of weeks, as I will be building a rifle off of a remington 700 action I have. Specifically, I'm looking to rebarrel a 270 win (rem700 action) to a 280 rem for the purpose of mid - long range whitetail/muley/elk hunting (i.e. 400 - 600 yards, with shots up to 800 yards under ideal conditions. I'm trying to keep the cost of the rig, excluding scope, rings, and bases to ~$1200, including gunsmith work, and the weight to ~10 lbs or less. This forum has the expertise that I lack, so any suggestions related to my proposed rifle build would be appreciated!

Barrel: Krieger 26" SS in either a #4 sporter or light palma contour. I do not want a fluted barrel. 1:9 Twist (140 - 168 gr bullet weights). Not sure if I want to go with 5r or convential 4 groove.
Action: Rem 700. Will have bolt face and lugs & receiver faces, lugs, and threads trued.
Stock: Greybull Precision Hunting Stock.
Trigger: Jewell

What are your thoughts on barrel length and contour, given that I would like to keep the total weight to ~10lbs or less? What about twist rate?

I'm also debating sending the action and stock to Krieger and have them do the chambering, truing, bedding, etc. Has anyone else had this done? Any problems?

Also thinking of having both glass and pillar bedding to the stock...Thoughts?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Gary

Hello all. I've been browsing the forum for a couple of weeks, as I will be building a rifle off of a remington 700 action I have. Specifically, I'm looking to rebarrel a 270 win (rem700 action) to a 280 rem for the purpose of mid - long range whitetail/muley/elk hunting (i.e. 400 - 600 yards, with shots up to 800 yards under ideal conditions. I'm trying to keep the cost of the rig, excluding scope, rings, and bases to ~$1200, including gunsmith work, and the weight to ~10 lbs or less. This forum has the expertise that I lack, so any suggestions related to my proposed rifle build would be appreciated!

Barrel: Krieger 26" SS in either a #4 sporter or light palma contour. I do not want a fluted barrel. 1:9 Twist (140 - 168 gr bullet weights). Not sure if I want to go with 5r or convential 4 groove.
Action: Rem 700. Will have bolt face and lugs & receiver faces, lugs, and threads trued.
Stock: Greybull Precision Hunting Stock.
Trigger: Jewell

What are your thoughts on barrel length and contour, given that I would like to keep the total weight to ~10lbs or less? What about twist rate?

I'm also debating sending the action and stock to Krieger and have them do the chambering, truing, bedding, etc. Has anyone else had this done? Any problems?

Also thinking of having both glass and pillar bedding to the stock...Thoughts?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Gary
Sounds like a pretty good start on a plan.

If you send your action to Kreiger and have them completely finish and mount the barrel, they will true your action while they are doing the rest and do it for less than any gun smith will do the total package.

I would suggest going with the Sendero Taper and go with a 28" finished length. At most the added weight vs what you're thinking is goign to be about 8 oz.

Typically for every inch of barrel length you'll gain about 50 fps, and for ranges beyond 600yds the extra couple of inches will certainly help with steadiness.

The GB precision stock isn't a bad way to go but I'd seriously suggest you get your hands on one and see how it fits and feels before buying one. They are very thick through the palm/grip area and that's not going to feel right for a lot of people.

If you're thinking of a used stainless 26 incher in 280, there is one on Gunbroker. rifle parts.
Looks pretty affordable.

Otherwise Midway gunsmith catalog has a selection of new ones in many calibers and price ranges. Both in threaded and chambered, and raw blanks.

For my next build, I will spend more money on good glass and less on barrel.

Choices, choices. :D

I've considered the AI and continue to do so. From what I have researched, it appears I would gain 50 - 125 FPS over the 280 rem, all else equal. My hesitation to the 280 AI is that 1) more expensive releoding supplies and 2) my relatively novice reloading experience.

I'd prefer to stay with a 24"-26" barrel for ease of carrying.

Does anyone have an opionion on the 5R vs conventional 4 groove rifling on the krieger barrels?

What about the light palma vs. #4 contour? WildRose - what would be the advantage of a Sendero contour over these?

Thanks

Does anyone have an opionion on the 5R vs conventional 4 groove rifling on the krieger barrels?
Kreiger is doing 5R rifling now but even they will tell you that they are not convinced of any real benefit to it over the conventional rifling.

What about the light palma vs. #4 contour? WildRose - what would be the advantage of a Sendero contour over these?

Thanks
Personally I like the Sendero contour very much vs a straight taper. The difference between various contours performance wise other than the straight bull barrel is pretty much imperceptable to most shooters.

I want more meat at the end of the barrel than the standard hunting/sporter contours give (too whippy) but don't see any benefit in taking a 16-20lbs rifle on a hunting trip. They are great off of the bench or setting up prone when your shooting position is easy to get too but they'll wear your *** out if you have to lug them very far.

No question that longer and heavier barrels give you more stability which helps with accuracy and precision where all else is equal, but yes, there's a trade off in the ease/comfort of carrying them.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.