Bipod or shooting sticks for spot & stalk Elk Hunting?

I have a trekking pole attachment from weiser that makes them shooting sticks. In reality, I have carried some form of shooting stix for for the last 10+ years and used my pack more as a rest.

When the time comes, you have to go with what is quick and get a comfortable rest.

Have actually never shot game from the sticks. I haves used my pack, bino harness/pack mostly to get a solid rest for a shot. I have also used logs, sticks, rocks……

I won't stop carrying a set of sticks, but like the trekking pole adapters as a good option vs. a dedicated set of shooting sticks.

Hello Veteran elk hunters,
what do you guys prefer to steady your gun when the moment of truth is about to happen? bipod, shooting sticks, guides shoulder or backpack for that rock solid shot on a dream of a lifetime bull?

thanks in advanced!
Trees, backpack, rocks, fence post and if in a spot watching I'll use a bipod. Most of the time I kneel and use trees.

Usually I use limbs or my vest rolled up , or offhand this year I'm going t try out this brand , and see how it goes.
67823681-5CAD-4FAF-8730-1A1F9C8C1534.png

IMO the bipod is a much steadier rest to shoot off of but obviously it depends on which Bipod you use and what kind of area you are in. Most bipods require that you are laying down or have something to set them on. Some of them will extend out pretty long and I have killed animals off of them as well but it is not as steady as the shorter bipods from a prone position. After hunting in South Africa twice I have learned to shoot of of the sticks pretty well out to 400 yards on plains game but would always defer to my bipod if possible.

Something to think about, depending on where you are hunting, elk can be in very rugged terrain. My last elk shot as an example. Weather closing in, now or never shot at 20° up angle, 343 Meters, just sage brush on a hill. Not sure how you make that shot quickly otherwise. Maybe lay down over pack w/bipod? Can deploy my setup 30 seconds, less if pack is off etc. What about across a canyon same 20° down/up both sides? Bare hillside, sagebrush to get over, etc. The tripod opens up tons of options especially on tough hillside angles and over brush/obstacles. Other than a little weight penalty, packing and the cost there are no downsides I can see over the bipod. I would use a system you can clamp or pin into. The Bog pod saddle is heavy and doesn't work well at all on my rifle, it's just awkward. Hanging the pack under the apex really stabilizes the setup. Those tripods have come a long way and are game changing.

Last edited:
Think about the hike out loaded with boned elk meat and/or a head with antlers. You WILL need hiking poles to assist your overloaded legs and stabilize you on rougher terrain.

OK, so hiking poles. Now add Quick stiX to them (Weisner products). Two Delrin engineering grade plastic discs that clamp on your hiking poles just below the pole handles. If your pole has foam below the handles remove it first. It's useless as tits on a boar.

I can shoot extremely accurately with these poles and my 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro.
Get the Quick stiX and practice with your poles. You will be amazed. And your poles are adjustable for various terrain.

I'm going sticks this year. I'm going to pick up the trekking pole connectors mentioned by Rick, and I put together a set made out of busted arrows to play with. They're kinda flimsy, I need to break some heavier spined arrows, but they are light and easy and if I'd had them last year I'd be eating elk. Running from tree to tree trying to get a clear but steady shot at the next hillside 400y away on a feeding animal was a healthy reality check for a guy who fancies himself a good shot.

Like Brent Said there are a lot of limitations on a bipod and they're miserable to carry unless you spend big. I won't be trying that.

I use my trekking poles with Wiser Precision connectors on them. I used to carry shooting sticks but these are far sturdier, and result in a more steady rest as well. I wouldn't mind shooting off a bipod but I can't recall the last elk I could have taken even if I had them mounted to my rifle. I'm usually hunting dark timber an hour after first light, and the trekking poles allow me to easily position for uphill, downhill, and sidehill shots. Of course I'll use a tree limb or a log if there's one right in front of me, but it's not uncommon to see an elk right when those options are ten feet away. I've taken at least eight elk using the trekking poles, and plan to keep using them into the future.

Just a bipod tip for shorter bipods. This was a Harris.

I had 2 deer this last year I was on a steep slope shooting downhill across 700yrds and couldn't find anything other than sage brush. I tried everything to get a shot with the bipod and found myself in awkward positions that I couldn't make the shot. As the deer were just about gone.
I took my heavy jacket off and shoved the whole head of the sage under it. The jacket made a place for the feet to rest so I could sit with rifle in a normal sitting position. It was actually pretty firm and kept rifle from falling through the branches.

Last edited:
Just a bipod tip for shorter bipods. This was a Harris.

I had 2 deer this last year I was on a steep slope shooting downhill across 700yrs and couldn't find anything other than sage brush. I tried everything to get a shot with the bipod and found myself in awkward positions that I couldn't make the shot. As deer were just about gone.
I took my heavy jacket off and shoved the whole head of the sage under it. The jacket made a place for the feet to rest so I could sit with rifle in a normal sitting position. It was actually pretty firm and kept rifle from falling through the branches.
That's pretty slick thinking. Nice.

Trekking poles work great. Take the straps that go around your wrist and slip them over the opposite pole handle creating cross cross web and lay the rifle forearm in the web created by the wrist straps. Spread the legs of the trekking poles out to adjust height. This set up locks the forearm in but still allows adjustment for right to left and up and down by shifting your upper body.
In Alaska on my Dall 🐑 sheep I used my backpack placed on the ground vertically in front of me. It was a rock solid platform. One and done.

I like the tall/long Primos Trigger Sticks (monopod, bipod and tripod) because they are so much faster to adjust height than any of the other options. They are not as steady as some of the other options, but I think more than adequate steadiness. Especially if compared to shooting offhand or leaning against a tree that may be blowing in the wind. I use a monopod in tree stands since some stands don't have shooting rails or the rails are the wrong height for where the animal is standing. The rapid Triggerstick allows me to adjust the height continually and very rapidly as the animal moves. I use the bipod and tripods for walking or ground blinds. The Primos Triggersticks are usually much lighter to carry than the other options which is also a benefit, but again you sacrifice some stability to get lightness with all of them. Adjusting each leg individually is really a pain to me and very slow. All 3 Triggersticks adjust with a single trigger mechanism. The tall Triggerstick's legs can also be splayed out to get a very low profile, but if prone, I'd rather use my pack or something else.