Bipod or shooting sticks for spot & stalk Elk Hunting?

Hello Veteran elk hunters,
what do you guys prefer to steady your gun when the moment of truth is about to happen? bipod, shooting sticks, guides shoulder or backpack for that rock solid shot on a dream of a lifetime bull?

thanks in advanced!
I"ve successfully used all the options you mentioned. For me, extensive practice with any support system has been the key ingredient. Although my rifles have an attached bipod, I carry a small, very light weight, rear support and a light weight tripod for hiking support and sitting shots. If shooting off your guide's shoulder is truly an option, congratulations…you are in the right place!!

I've used what ever is handiest, but most of the time it's been an original tripod model BogPod with the standard u-shaped rest piece. Yes, it takes just a bit to set it up, but practice with it some and you can do it pretty quickly. I've never missed an opportunity for a shot because I was slow in setting up. I'm not a long range hunter, but my Bog Pod has worked well for distances up to about 320 yards for me. I don't care for rifles with attached bipods, but some do and that's okay. It's strictly a personal preference and up to the shooter.

One note regarding shooting off a BogPod (or something similar)...my experience only and it may not apply to anyone else, but when I first practiced, my shots (can't remember now if it was at 200 or 300 yards) were a little high, not enough to really matter unless you get way out there, but it's still wise to do some shooting from whatever you're using before the season to see if there is a point of impact change vs. using a benchrest.

After a little more practice and familiarization with my equipment, points of impact were the same as shooting from a bench.

We have eight hunters in our elk hunting "group". We hunt spot and stalk, and use horses for travel (and spot lots of elk off them then stalk) into many areas. Several have tried sticks and try them every now and then for the last 22 years. To date not one person uses sticks more than a reminder try, and comments negatively when they use them for the day. Many different bipods have been tried and continue to be tried. The end result is everyone has a Harris standard 13-23", and is always available at camp or in the truck if we try something else. They fit inside full leather horizontal scabbards with 26" rifles and weigh 15oz. A couple of the younger guys pack a tripod and other weight/shooting aids in their packs, and to date have never ever used them. We don't shoot crazy distance with most of the long shots 4-500yds. The longest so far has only been 650yds.

Bipod first. Prone
Crossed trekking poles. Sitting
Then the modified trekking pole for standing. It also doubles as a bino stick for glassing

Practicing off these in the different positions is key to knowing your limitations off of each
3E4B4EC9-BDEA-4C2E-AC6D-54AFB2B0F02B.jpeg
31298B1A-3165-44A5-8B86-CB452FC4209F.jpeg

what do you guys prefer to steady your gun when the moment of truth is about to happen? bipod, shooting sticks, guides shoulder or backpack for that rock solid shot on a dream of a lifetime bull?

thanks in advanced!

In what kind of country?

There is a ton load different country to hunt elk in.

If shot elk multiple times at 6-700 off a tree branch support.Bipod always with memoir my small pack tripod with pic rail attach.Like RH300rum,I have outdoorsman plates on everything and adapters for many shoots.Shot my spring bear off pack and Atlas this year but only 400+.Also have my trekkers

Tripod for me worth every oz. 3lbs 8oz all in. Davros Pro head on a Leofoto is the latest version for me. I have a couple others that are a little heavier for different needs, yotes, etc. A RRS 24 w/Anvil-30 would be awesome if you can accommodate the ARCA rail. Spartan has a lighter less rigid more multi purpose version that can do sticks/bipid/tripod. If I want a bipod the tripod legs will lay flat. With your pack hung under the tripod apex it's like shooting from a bench even when standing. Tripod does double duty with Spotting Scope or binos. It's a different mindset but I'd never go back.

thanks in advanced!
Lots of scenarios with lots of variations. Expandable shooting sticks are a great asset, they are easy to deploy for a relatively speedy shot from close(ish) range. I always carry them and if you need to shoot over manzanitas which most of the time eliminates the rifle bipod or prone, a tall tripod rest is beneficial. Shooting while sitting using the backpack as a rifle rest is good and those expandable sticks help support the rear against your shoulder for a steady shot at a longer than average distance. Distance and terrain will determine what you should do to be as ethical as possible. Know your strengths and good luck.