Shooting positions for elk

Personally, if I want to shoot beyond 300yrds, I need to get into a prone position. I feel OK to about 400 or 500yrds off a backpack. I am much more comfortable off the sticks and something else (backpack etc.) for a rear rest. I prefer shooting sticks to the bi-pod because of weight, and my rifle shoots the same on or off the sticks. The bi-pod seems to effect poi. I can shoot the sticks prone to sitting to kneeling. Depending on how many segments I utilize.

Nut shell, under 300yrds anything will do for a rest. Beyond 300yrds, I figure out somehow to get prone. If I can't the shot does not happen.

Steve

Iam in the snow alot for elk season, 2-3 '. So for shorter ranges it is rootwad, tree, whatever is close.For longer shots I carry 27" snipepod, size of pocket knife folded and 6oz. Back to a tree and that helps with support. Ialso stalk at timberline with the snipepod for muleys gets U OUT OF SNOW and on fur fast

Setting for me seems to work for target(s) out to 600 yards; with a good quality Military {Turner} type sling and a Tri Tech Training... "Figure Eight" leg strap which allows me to keep my legs/knee's in a solid support position as a platform for my arms…. It's a deadly combo, which can go way past 600 yards with practice. Plus no extra weight on the hunt.

I sit down 45 degrees to target and use my right knee for rear support a 24-27"? harris bipod for front support. For me this position is preferred even over prone and a lot more useful in the field. I hunt steep canyons and have bean able to use it up down and across . I have used it out to 800 very effectively and so far every single opportunity for big game has bean adaptable to this position. Yet I have never seen anyone els use it or recommend it.

Ihave been going to same spots for 20 yrs and in my favorite perches I make "hides" basically set up logs, Branches, roots, whatever is handy for gun , elbow and back support

New member here......

I usually like to shoot off my pack or off a bogpod, depending on the situation. For the last elk I was lucky enough to shoot, I layed down my pack and shot him at 328 yards in the prairies. Worked like a charm!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.