Walking Sticks for Hunting?

RugerHawg413

As many of you know I am going on my first elk hunt later this year, I was wondering if anyone used walking sticks while hunting and if you do, what type or brand do you have. Thanks for everything!

For me they are a piece of critical gear, they add miles to my legs and let me get elk meat out while staying up right. I wish I would have used them a lot earlier. I us the Leki micro vario TA, they proved to be very rugged and they fold up so small I keep them in my pack so if I don't need them they go away, if I need one or two they are always there.

Trekking poles are "must have" gear. I've gone through a couple pair now from REI and Bass Pro, they worked but didn't last. My hunting buddy uses some expensive carbon fiber poles from Leki and I am going to spend the money this season. Buy once cry once.

Black Diamond Alpine Carbons have been with me on every hunt for the past 6 years. With a loaded pack I'm pushing 300lb and the poles have always provided enough support. I tried a couple types of aluminum poles before and always managed to bend them, particularly during Late season on icy trails. Carbon only for me.

The Wiser precision attachment is AWESOME as well. Way sturdier for down or uphill shots. Always with me, even during archery season - it makes a great bipod for glassing.
20200307_085603.jpg

I have a set of Lekis I use them when I hunting open country. They have saved me from some falls on rocky hillsides. If I know I'm going to be in the trees most of the day, I leave them in the truck.

I have a set of Lekis I use them when I hunting open country. They have saved me from some falls on rocky hillsides. If I know I'm going to be in the trees most of the day, I leave them in the truck.

Timber and deadfall, especially with a bit of snow, is where I find my shooting sticks "very" useful! memtb

I have been using poles since they first came out, and have been laughed at a few times. And prior to that during most of my Elk kills, my trekking poles were produced by the bushes or trees near whatever river I am hiking up. They are inexpensive and reasonable sturdy. If one breaks or gets lost in a river crossing, I grab another perfectly shaped stick, break it to the exact length necessary, and hike onward.
Cheap, and without the metalic click while hiking on rocks. Light weight, no guilt when thrown away.

Rugerhawg413: these poles have same features of more expensive ones and are holding up well. I am 6'4" 250 with back issues so I put a lot of pressure on them and they still come back for more. Like I said, I would expoxy the rubber bottom since they do seem to come off easily.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.