What tall bipod or should it be a tall tripod for a spot and stalk elk hunt?

Mine is definitely a buy-once, cry-once solution ... but RRS carbon fiber tripod and shooting ball head is the only way I've been able to get acceptable accuracy on a standing 500 yard shot. About 5.25 lb.
Agree. Bought a RRS setup for my camera, and it is exceptional. Currently buying a different head to use it for hunting also. Quality stuff!

I have hiking poles with the Weisner Corp. "Quick stiX" Delrin polymer discs clamped below the handles. I mate the discs, twist and VOILE'! I have a very stable shooting bipod with adjustable legs.
This company also makes another attachment to the poles to allow Weisner's carbon fiber leg to convert it into a tripod.

Light, stable, easy to use and not expensive.

If you have gun bearers (tripod bearer) …..by all means go for it! Otherwise, good solid/rigid shooting sticks of about 48" in length will take of most any shot you'll likely take! Bipods are a hindrance in the timber. If you feel that the vast majority of your hunting will be in open country, the bipod is a great asset…..unless you need to shot down a step grade. Few bipods are long enough for steep downhill shots…..if you are on a ver6 steep portion of the downhill. If they are of sufficient length for a steep downhill shot…..they would terribly upset the balance of you rifle for any close-up, quick offhand shots! JMO memtb