What tall bipod or should it be a tall tripod for a spot and stalk elk hunt?

I've been fairly indecisive about choosing a "tall" (for standing shots) bipod or tripod for my upcoming elk hunt. I would love to hear your thoughts and input. Thanks in advance for your help!
I prefer carbon fiber tripods for best height flexibility for shooting and glassing. Hang pack or ratchet strap from ground stake to tripod for added weight stability in winds. Like the Long Shot Hawk Smart Scope mounted to rifle scope, or even spotting scope, for long glassing periods. Shares view to phone or tablet to avoid eye stress in long glassing sessions waiting for bedded game to move. Tripod is more flexible, stable for me. Worth the weight penalty on my pack.

A flaw in the Triggerstick is the way the legs joints are can let water in which rusts and causes the lock to fail and if it freezes they won't work either but other than that they are very handy.

RRS Tripod. The best answer to this problem.

POgjku3h.jpg

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Anyone try Viperflex?
We bought and used those in Africa last year. My wife, a new shooter, could ping steel easily out to 500 meters off of the Vipers. Sometimes the front leg would become a burden in higher grass but it can be locked back to stay out of the way.

I've been fairly indecisive about choosing a "tall" (for standing shots) bipod or tripod for my upcoming elk hunt. I would love to hear your thoughts and input. Thanks in advance for your help!
Hunting in the west I would have a way to shoot steady in all three positions of prone, seated, and standing. We have gone to the field set up like this for years hunting Coues deer. Every time different situations would happen where one of those three positions would be necessary. We usually used a 6-13in bipod for prone then a tripod for seated or standing. I would also suggest looking at the Phoenix Shooting Bags products for some great light weight field resets. https://www.phoenixshootingbags.com/

I am looking for a tripod right now myself, mainly for glassing, but appreciate this dialogue.

I have had the tall harris bipod on my rifle since i was a kid...the same one. I think i have only used the tall setting twice to kill elk and it worked. Other then that ive used it in the standard setting and killed a lot of elk that way too. Probably half the elk ive shot some deer too. Affordable durable and built really well.

Short bipod on the rifle for a prone shot, or just use your pack. If you're actually spot and stalk hunting you should probably already have a tripod going with you to glass from. I think the answer to this is an easy one.

Last edited:
Check into the Sirui VA-5 fluid head. It's a high quality head, I'm not sure about shooting off of it yet, I hope to try it soon.
Fluid heads are king for glassing/lasing... no question about that. Shooting from them is generally good too... but I would struggle to find a fluid head that is good enough, but yet light enough to take in the field. I'm playing around with the smallrig mini fluid head right now... and it shows a lot of promise with a 11lb rifle. Much heavier of a rifle and it just can't hang.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I think you are much better off to get a solid tripod and ball head that can glass and shoot off of instead of the trigger stick type. Arca rail is cheap to add to your gun. I love bipods so i don't see myself ever not packing one. I would bet more than 60% of our animals get shot from a bipod.

Mine is definitely a buy-once, cry-once solution ... but RRS carbon fiber tripod and shooting ball head is the only way I've been able to get acceptable accuracy on a standing 500 yard shot. About 5.25 lb.

I made a set of quad standing sticks that double as a walking staff. Admittedly, a little heavy and takes a little to get used to them but at less than $20 and 30 minutes invested. I like them.

Recent Posts