• Yes it's a must have

Votes: 154 59.0%
  • No it's not necessary

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 90 34.5%

• Total voters

TheFishBox

The thread on the atlas pod got me thinking how necessary is a bi-pod. Is it that much better than shooting of a pack or some other solid rest? And judging by the atlas thread it looks like its worth it to spring for the better one over a cheapy.

Voted Sometimes...because while I certainly think a solid rest is essential to accuracy I do want the bi-pod detachable for times when some other type/better rest is available.

Jack

Here's a side by side picture of the Atlas and Harris bipods for those of us who can't live without them!!
Atlas:
https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#AD532ODWGkY1JQ

I voted always as I think a good bipod is essential for consistent long range shooting, this said I have harvested way more game from improvised field shooting positions but would not suggest starting out without a bipod as my plan.

I voted sometimes. Most of the time, i shoot off my pack and I personally find it faster to shoot and re-acquire the target if it is moving from this position. This being said, I think that the bipod is more stable.

Randy

Sometimes.

My bi-pod is a Harris, but the Atlas is a much more versatile item though there are Harris' which have similar capability, just not at the level of performance (nor price).

I voted sometimes because there have been instances when the bi-pod worked just right for me, but at other times I've just shot off my pack (or whatever).

In any event, I'm planning on making a rifle rest adapter for my CF photography tripod so I probably won't need my bi-pod much longer.

I voted sometimes, because I have shot alot of game off hand or improvise.For speed goat almost must have.I always pack mine on my hip belt.Here is a set up w/atlas and my outdoorsman w/my alum. saddle bracket.No problem going long with that set up

Attachments

• 338 chute.jpg
    338 chute.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 68
I started with a Haris 25 years ago and still hunt with it every fall. I believe it is one of the best tools I use. The nice thing is that if it isnt needed just fold it up and rest the rifle on a bag or whatever. It is really hard to use it if you dont have one.

I have used a Harris for years. If I'm not shooting prone, I I'll keep it in my pack. I have no problem mounting or removing it from my rifle in under 15 seconds. I prefer the notched leg swivel model with a turn lever tensioner, and, the 9-13" length for clearing the grass or snow.

I voted yes. I do all my load development and most of my practice prone from a bipod using my backpack for a rear bag. I typlicaly use a harris 12-25 swivle as I need to get a little higher above the grass where I hunt. I have most the harris lengths but typlical practice with the 12-25 as that is what I hunt with.

For LR shooting I always ambush and pick my shooting spot thus always use a bipod.

I make my own very solid bipod as I've had problems with consistently loadingthe spring legged type.

Leveling is simple as I watch the bubble level and rake the rig back and forth till she's level.

Steep up angles are doable with fiberglass leg extenders though range is reduced due to increased flexibility.

My carry system allows for the solid bipod to be mounted continuously.

I wouldn't call it a necessity, b/c I rarely use mine. BUT, I do think that everyone should own one. They do come in handy alot of times.

Bipod is a must have option in my inventory and considered in first option for setup. Hasn't always worked out that way but still I consider it a must have....because the next setup will more than likely have one.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.