Beware!!! SRS knock-offs floating around

@livetohunt @North Idaho Hunter are both site sponsors and should civilly settle the issue offline on their own or with @Len Backus. Too many speculations are getting thrown around.

@livetohunt, you might want to consider updating your current authorized dealers with a cautionary statement to buy only from them.

1691234288176.png

I made the decision not to do business with JA because of what has happened. I never said everyone else should also quit doing business with them.

Everyone is intelligent enough to draw their own conclusions and make their own decisions. I've made my choice and you can make yours.
Well said. The only time I tell someone nwhere NOT to spend money, is when my kids are spending MY money. Any other time, I might express an opinion, but thats about it. I decide where I spend money. There are a few places I refuse. And I leave it at that.

Let me how that ti-5 works out for you. That's the one I'm getting for my 338 edge😉
Just bought a TI-5 for my new 338 RUM. With all the positive responses I'm not worried about performance. Sorry to hear about a re seller doing this with your products. There's a business in Canada that's famous for doing the same thing. Works for a little while until everyone figures it out. Then most go with the original company like they should.

Looking at the pictures in post#11 they are of similar design and function but when I look close at the cutouts and shape of the product there are significant differences. The original product on the left appears to have more machining done and is probably less in weight. The product on the right does not look as refined. Unfortunately this happens many times in manufacturing even when a patent is present. Hence the Bic Lighter, the Wheelchair, etc. a slight variance and you have a similar product. Sucks it happens but it's common and legal. Look at Harris Bipods, Atlas Bipods, both have competition from company's with very similar designs. Personally, I use Atlas and Harris and if I was buying one of the shown products in post 11 I'd use the SRS.

Last edited:
That's pretty interesting. So did SRS design, patent, and produce that brake and another manufacturer started replicating it and selling it? Does SRS own the design? If so, seems like a cease and desist letter would put an end to all this in a hurry.
My thoughts exactly.

While I try hard to buy from reputable vendors who own the intellectual property of the products they produce or from vendors who license the intellectual property. But often times it is hard to do.

If one were to design and build the most outstanding widget ever produced for man, and failed to apply for a patent, it is not his intellectual property in the legal realm. And anyone is free to copy, market and sell that widget.

While products appearing in the pictures are of very similar design, simply changing non-functional milling aspects or artwork does not change the inherent design. But what I do not see in any of the pictures is "Patented" or "Patent Pending" on any of the products.

When it comes to non-patented products, it's up to the buyer if he wants to honor the original designer's product or purchase a knockoff. Personally, I always try to choose the former path.

Many designers fail to patent their inventions due to patent processing costs. I personally find it always best to apply for a patent, the least expensive route compared to going through the full patent process. At least the designer will have some form of protection.

And I will add...

I envision it would be very difficult to obtain a patent for a muzzle brake by simply applying for a patent. Muzzle brakes are common place components and readily available in the public domain.

I suspect to obtain a patent on a muzzle brake design, one would have to go through the entire process of demonstrating through testing and quantifiable results why their muzzle brake is so unique and deserving of a patent.

Alter design and patent it this time…… see APA and Terminator 20 years of he said she said ref brake copying. Im buying original thats been tested - safety first!

Example: Harris Bipod and Caldwell bipod are "almost" identical.
Sometimes, the cost of getting a pattent, defending a pattent, and so on is not worth it. I have had pattents, and I have been in pattent lawsuits as an expert witness on both sides (different cases of course). In our sport there are so many products being copied. And so many people choose the cheaper, most often inferior copy than the original, Such is the world we live in. It cuts deep when to "trading partners" are involved.

Recent Posts