Better 6mm (not 243W) for hunting? Which one?

I think factory 6.5 Creed is loaded slower than 260. It definitely has a Ballistic and Energy advantage to the 6. Although like has been said the 6 will take most big game with the proper bullet.
Shep

Only if you live within driving distance of Cabela's. ;)

My rural Walmart doesn't carry any of the options talked about except a stock 243Win.
If you are wanting to buy ammo at the local Wal-Mart then the 243 is going to be your 6mm option

My 243 Winchester is long gone. I want another 6mm mid-range variant mainly for hunting and pest elimination. I'm thinking about a 6XC but, I'm uncommitted at this time.

I do not want a true wildcat or barrel burner. I'm not a fan of Short Magnums or 'boutique' cartridges from manufacturers (i.e. Ruger, Nosler, etc.). I don't expect to see velocities with heavier options above 3,000FPS in a 24"~26" barrel. Something that won't excessively heat or otherwise lead to short barrel life (throat erosion / cracking) is important to me. I prefer to stick with something with factory brass if not factory loaded ammunition. I can reload so, something with limited support like a 6x47L is a possibility.

For hunting options, deer mainly but, I intend to take a Pronghorn and possibly a Mountain Goat so, I need something with "legs". Pest elimination is mainly Coyotes and 'feral' domestic dogs but, I do see feral hogs occasionally. Reasonable recoil (i.e. not excessive) with weight on the lighter side (6#~7# no scope) is important as my dominant shoulder has had surgery already and is a bit 'soft'. So with a bit more oomph than a 243 Winchester but, not a barrel burner without excessive recoil, what would you recommend? 6XC, 6 Creedmoor, 6x47L, 6mm Remington or, ...?

TIA,
Sid
6mm gt is where im going

If you are wanting to buy ammo at the local Wal-Mart then the 243 is going to be your 6mm option

I think I'm down to mail order at this point. With everybody hoarding everything from Toilet Paper to Beans and Bread, staring at an empty ammo case it the last thing I want to do at Walmart.

Plus, this time I want try something other than a stock 243Win.

I know you kind of want factory ammo but I'll throw this cartridge out there, i built a 6x.204Ruger. Im shooting 87gr VMAX at 2950 FPS and 95gr SMK's at 2950 fps and taking rock chucks out past 800 yards with it. Its a hammer and so fun to shoot, almost no recoil. I loaded some 80gr Badlands Bulldozers up and 3200fps is where I hit pressure, Im going to back it down to about 3100-3150fps for antelope this year. Going to try the newer 90gr sierra game king also, its the same BC as the 95gr SMK. Its easy to load for, a straight neck up on the brass, load and fire. I just use a reading 204 Full length bushing die with the appropriate bushing, and a Forster 204 Micro seating die with a 6mm seating stem. I have killed deer out to 500 yards with the 95gr SMK and the 95gr Berger so far. Another cartridge that would be close would be the 6x45AI, they are a lot of cartridge for their size and no more recall then a .223, brass is everywhere and a little Lee or RCBS press can be had for 30.00 to 50.00 dollars. Barrel life is great and its cheaper to shoot than all the other cartridges, it uses way less powder. And recoil is almost nonexistent.

This is a 6x204 with a 87gr VMAX, a204 case and a 6x204 with 80gr Badlands Bulldozer mono

Attachments

• 8DD2BC7F-584E-42F5-9390-B4BB7EAA4280.jpeg
    8DD2BC7F-584E-42F5-9390-B4BB7EAA4280.jpeg
    427.8 KB · Views: 90
My 243 Winchester is long gone. I want another 6mm mid-range variant mainly for hunting and pest elimination. I'm thinking about a 6XC but, I'm uncommitted at this time.

I do not want a true wildcat or barrel burner. I'm not a fan of Short Magnums or 'boutique' cartridges from manufacturers (i.e. Ruger, Nosler, etc.). I don't expect to see velocities with heavier options above 3,000FPS in a 24"~26" barrel. Something that won't excessively heat or otherwise lead to short barrel life (throat erosion / cracking) is important to me. I prefer to stick with something with factory brass if not factory loaded ammunition. I can reload so, something with limited support like a 6x47L is a possibility.

For hunting options, deer mainly but, I intend to take a Pronghorn and possibly a Mountain Goat so, I need something with "legs". Pest elimination is mainly Coyotes and 'feral' domestic dogs but, I do see feral hogs occasionally. Reasonable recoil (i.e. not excessive) with weight on the lighter side (6#~7# no scope) is important as my dominant shoulder has had surgery already and is a bit 'soft'. So with a bit more oomph than a 243 Winchester but, not a barrel burner without excessive recoil, what would you recommend? 6XC, 6 Creedmoor, 6x47L, 6mm Remington or, ...?

TIA,
Sid
The 6 / 284 is a great gun I have two I is a 10 twist the other is 8. The 8 loves the 105 partions , very good 400 / 500 yard load.

A guy close to my sister is selling a 257 Weatherby Vanguard. It has the 26" barrel and is threaded but doesn't come with a muzzle break. I hope to see it sometime next week and from what I could see online it looks like it may be a shade under 8#'s without the scope which is a little heavier than I'm really looking for but, it should help tame recoil.

Playing with some online recoil calculators with factory load options, it looks like recoil energy and velocity is between the hotter 6mm/243 options (non-magnum) and 6.5 Creedmoor in Lightweight Hunter configuration rifles. Does this sound reasonable?

I would definitely plan on loading some reduced loads for things like coyotes with appropriate bullets probably in the 100gr range with an appropriate 'cool' powder to fill the case well and give a nice even burn instead of a fast 'bang'.

For hogs at the tree line (150~200 yards), I have an older thread mount suppressor that should mount without issue once I account for the POI shift (it's pretty heavy). Of course I'd have to shoot off a bipod or the top rail of my pipe fence as I think it would be too heavy for me to shoot freestanding and the length would make a trap shotgun seem short in comparison.

Another guy in my general area (not really local but not far off either) has a 257 Rigby Kimber Hunter for about $250 more (from initial asking prices with no bargaining). Neither has has a scope or any ammo of significance.

It seems like the 257 Weatherby 'might' be a reasonable choice, especially if I can get it at a good price to offset some increased costs for cases and dies or loaded ammo. The Weatherby would also probably be a better option for feral hogs with a tough heavy bullet for even more smackdown. I should note that both are a bit more expensive than a Ruger American Predator in 6 Creedmoor for reference.

A guy close to my sister is selling a 257 Weatherby Vanguard. It has the 26" barrel and is threaded but doesn't come with a muzzle break.

Another guy in my general area (not really local but not far off either) has a 257 Rigby Kimber Hunter for about $250 more (from initial asking prices with no bargaining). Neither has has a scope or any ammo of significance.

Just a question. are you sure that it isn't a 275 rigby also known as the 7X57 Mauser?

I own a 26 inch 257 Rob AI. It uses the 7 mm mauser cases just necked down and fire formed

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.