Better 6mm (not 243W) for hunting? Which one?

The slr with a little bump in capacity or a 243ai with a longer neck. This one does both. 6slrai pronounced 6 slur eye. Yes I made that sh-- up.

Shep

The slr with a little bump in capacity or a 243ai with a longer neck. This one does both. 6slrai pronounced 6 slur eye. Yes I made that sh-- up.

Shep
:):). Ideal
It would be ideal to order a reamer with oal for long bullets.
Dies custom ordered from reamer drawings, or wait to have fired cases?
what a nice improvement over the 243ai that would be ....

:):). Ideal
It would be ideal to order a reamer with oal for long bullets.
Dies custom ordered from reamer drawings, or wait to have fired cases?
what a nice improvement over the 243ai that would be ....
I feel as though the negative for the OP would be that he was hoping to shoot factory loads. You can certainly shoot factory loads through the ai but not likely with an SLR or SLRAI since headspace would be much different.

243ai and slr

Attachments

• 15889015680213624375997642759250.jpg
    15889015680213624375997642759250.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
I feel as though the negative for the OP would be that he was hoping to shoot factory loads. You can certainly shoot factory loads through the ai but not likely with an SLR or SLRAI since headspace would be much different.
Good point.

Good point.

That SLR looks like a real winner except it isn't a normal factory load and, it looks like I would have to rebarrel a rifle to shoot it.

If I had a dedicated place to setup my reloading gear, I could see that one working well for me. However, at this point I don't really have the bandwidth to setup and teardown my reloading gear to shoot that caliber much (nor the time or finances to run a large number of rounds at one time when I have some time off).

Even at $40/box for 6XC while more expensive over time doesn't require as much upfront investment and certainly has the advantage of store bought ammunition if I'm too busy to reload when I need to. I guess I could always go with a 6 Creedmoor but, they run faster than I really want however, when I burn the barrel out I can rebarrel to something else at that time.

I'm starting to wonder if an older former military round might now make more sense. Old Mausers had reduced loadings due to design constraints so, soft on the shoulder options should be available. At a point in time when I am ready for a stouter cartridge I can always 'up gun' with a +P version.

The 6 Creed is an excellent cartridge. It is not loaded hot by any means. Hornady factory loads are on the lower side of pressure in my experience.
Lots of great cheap ammo for it. It's what I would build if I didn't want to hand load. In a 6mm. Otherwise I would do a 6.5creed. The 6.5 Creed is a creampuff to shoot with factory ammo. The first time I shot one it made me laugh. Anybody can handle a 6.5 creed. Now it's my go to match round for 1000 yards.
Shep

6.5creed. The 6.5 Creed is a creampuff to shoot with factory ammo.
Agreed. The kids all started with the basically identical 260 Rem. My daughter at 10 years old and just a runt was shooting a 700 Titanium at a bit over 6 pounds scoped and loved it. No brake, prone. In a 7.5 to 8.5 pound rig it is easy to see impacts with the 6.5 Creed with no brake. Bullet options from 100 to 156 grains.

4 shoulder surgeries here. I dont feel a noticeable difference in recoil bw a 243 and 260.

A 243 with 95gr AB is very adequate on WT and should work fine on MG. A 6Creed would work as well. No need for something more exotic.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.