Best weight bullet in 6.5x284 for Elk

Best Bullet, the round that you have the most confidence in…groups the best & you have ample supply to get you through the life of the rifle or as long as you own it! Switching back & forth is a bad omen, causes us to create the biggest issue…WE BECOME OUR OWN WORST ENEMY!

Keep it SIMPLE & NEVER LOOK BACK

Last edited:
I've submitted an application for an Elk hunt and want to be ready if I'm lucky. What weight should I use as I have 127gr LRX, 140GR ACCUBOND BT, 143GR ELDX, 140Gr VLD Hunting, 130GR VLD Hunting and 156EOLs. Thought of getting HAMMERs as they're very consistent in weight and structure. Any load guidance would help also.
The LRX will most likely get you the most consistent penetration. Listen to Joseph Von Benedikt's podcast on elk bullets. He speaks specifically about the limitations of the 6.5, and the bullets you should use with it when hunting elk.

Lots of thought and opinions go into 6.5's on elk size game.

All I can give for experience is nearly all of the elk that have met my 6.5 bullets have folded up like a lawn chair! - very adequate, very LETHAL! The ONLY bad experiences I've had were due to MY error. Good discussion here!

I've submitted an application for an Elk hunt and want to be ready if I'm lucky. What weight should I use as I have 127gr LRX, 140GR ACCUBOND BT, 143GR ELDX, 140Gr VLD Hunting, 130GR VLD Hunting and 156EOLs. Thought of getting HAMMERs as they're very consistent in weight and structure. Any load guidance would help also.
With my 6.5-284 Norma, the 140 gr Accubond and 140 VLD are fantastic. The 140 VLD seems to be a perfect storm of performance in the Norma at a velocity of approximately 3000 fps.
If you're going to go with a Hammer, the 124 gr is your man. Although I could get over 3200 fps, it had better accuracy at 3140 fps with H4831. I use RL23 with the 140 VLD & Accubond.
Personally, I prefer 30 cal or larger for elk, but the Norma will do the job. Shot placement is crucial

I used to load mine with barnes lrx 127 grain and recently switched to Hammer hunters 124 gr. Hammers are much better. I will however give Badlands Precision Bulldozers-2 in 125 gr a try. They have much higher BC and like that they come with aluminum tips. I use lapua brass, Feds match 210's and H1000. 3000 fps with no pressure in 100 degree weather in California.

My boss owns a Wyoming hunting ranch. The guide uses a beat up .243 to take elk. Just goes to show....sometimes it might not need to be the carbon fiber titanium hammer in the Snap On tool box.....but the beat up old hammer hanging on the wall. Both accomplish the same task. Now that being said....I just finished up my 6.5x284 for antelope....will see how the hammers work out in 124.

I would like to encourage you to NOT use that small of caliber on elk. Over the last thirty some years, I've killed or been in on many elk harvests. These are a big TOUGH animal and I "Personally" believe that .270 is the minimum bullet diameter that should be allowed, although the DOW says a .243 is the minimum. I would hate to see you loose an elk, on a hunt that takes so much money and effort, due to being under gunned. granted, one can kill an elk with a .22 if you shoot it in the head, but most times you won't have a rest or an ideal situation. Please consider this.

I just started using a faster .264" cartridge, the Weatherby 6.5 RPM. But my ambush points where the herd passes me are all around 100 yards and provide broadside presentations. I consider cartridges in that diameter minimum for elk size, thin-skinned game. That said, a tougher bullet in heavy for diameter weight is a must. An Accubond, Partition or similar at 140 grains or greater is called for. Yes, folks kill elk every year with 127, 129 & 130 grain .264" bullets. But, there's too much to go wrong on too valuable and respectable animal to run near the margins. It's not just a matter of doing the math to meet or exceed the magical 1500 ft lbs on target. Bullet mass, frontal area, SD and construction all matter as do shot angle and POI.