6.5x284 bullet for deer?

midwesthunter

I have never shot this cartridge, and I have a texas and an oklahoma hunt coming up this fall. Was wanting to do some reloading for it, and try a diffrent caliber. Barrel is a 1-9 twist and 30". Was thinking 140 grain bullet but not sure? won't be shooting over 500 yards prob 300 or less. What ya guys think?

I've had great success with the 140 gr Hornady SST and Amax also the 130 gr Scirocco and Accubond.

The AB and Scirocco seem to be tougher than either of the the Hornadys and are probably better suited for inside 300 yd shot. However the Scirocco can be a little finicky to get to shoot but the .571 BC and expansion down to 1700 fps makes it attractive as an all around bullet.

The SST and Amax are better suited to longer ranges or pefect broadside shots. They seem to expand more readily especially at longer ranges.

All of this is just MHO but from my experiance all of these will drop deer right where they stand.

Chris

I am going to hunt deer with my 260 Rem.. Right now I plan to use 130 grain Nosler Accubonds. My gun also has a 1-9 twist. Some people think that you need 1-8 to shoot 140 grains bullets. I am quite happy that my gun likes the 130 Accubond bullets and they are tough enough for the increased velocity that you will get from your 6.5x284 with a 30 inch barrel.

I've killed deer with all the above brand bullets with success.

For the application you describe I like Nosler 120 Ballistic Tips.

I have killed deer with 120 ballistic tips running 3000 fps from my 6.5X55 Swede and it is an awesome killer. But I just got a 264 Win Mag and am going to try the 130 Nosler accubonds this year at 3450 fps. The 120 ballistic tips are just moving too fast to use on deer under 300 or so yards, 3600 fps. You really need to keep the ballistic tips impact velocity under 3000 fps or they start to vaporize when they hit the hair. I have heard good things about the 130 Berger VLD. I have only shot one deer with a 155 gr VLD from my 30X47 HBR at 2650 fps at 107 yards. It blew a baseball size exit hole in the off side shoulder.

I tried several of the 140 grain bullets in my Lilja 1-8 twist barrel, but wasn't getting the groups I wanted. I finally settled on the 130 gr. AccuBond in my 6.5-06 AI and couldn't be happier. I'm running them at 3,150 fps and they are devastating from 100 yds on out to 600 yds. I believe their BC is .58 or something close. Not bad for a longrange hunting bullet.

I'm currently shooting the Berger 140 gr. VLD in my 6.5-284 and getting good results but I am going to try the 140 gr. AMAX also. The 140 gr. Partition shot pretty good too but I can't afford to shoot too many of those. My barrel is a Broughton 5c 8 twist, it seems to like the 140 grain bullets best so far but I've put less than 100 rounds through it so I still have some more testing to do.

As far as brass goes I have used Hornady, Norma and Lapua, of those three Lapua is the best by far, but as far as I know it only comes in boxes of 100. I'm sure you could sell the other 50 without much trouble in the classifieds.

Bob

This will be my first hunting season with my 6.5-284, 1:8.5, #4 contour Brux barrel. My target load is 142 gr SMK, but I plan to use a hunting style bullet for deer and elk. I tried the 130 gr Scirocco. I found it rather finiky to get a consistent load. Always 2 touching and one about MOA out. This held true for 2 different powders 2 different primers and out to 300 yds.

I recently ran a ladder with the 140 gr Accubond at 330 yds. 11 rounds stretching 3 full grains of H4350. All shots were within 3 inches! A follow up session with two of the hotter loads printed strong 3/4 MOA and 2960 fps. One group had 0.25 MOA potential...I think I blew the last shot. I'm gonna give Reloader 17 a shot (no pun intended) to see if I can squeak out a bit more velocity and maintain accuracy.

IMHO, the 130/140 gr Accubond, 140 gr A-max, 140 gr Bergers would all be fine bullets. The 130 Sciroccos would be great if you can get them to shoot. If you figure close in shots, I would definitely go with a bonded bullet given the velocity of the 6.5-284. ASIDE: I'm skeptical of the Swift's claimed 0.571 BC.

FYI, Nosler claims a 0.488 BC for the 130 Accubond and 0.509 for the 140 gr.

I had a 6.5/284 made up deliberately on a Mod 700SA back in the late 90's just for deer/antelope. I started out with the Nosler 125PT and settled on the 120 NBT. I had a 24" barrel and used Winchester brass. Later in life, when it was SAAMI, I tried the Hornady and Norma and both were a lot softer, couldn't get the same speeds as the Winchester. Having said that, I never made a shot over 315 yds but it was a lightning bolt on antelope and Texas exotics, including big fallow deer! Not knocking the heavier bullets by no means, its just for the ranges I hunted and the lighter game, I saw no need for them. Good luck Pard.

140 Gr Berger Hunting VLD's have performed really well for us on deer for the last 4 years or so. Neck shots, behind the shoulder, 150 to 500 yard ranges, we've probably killed 10 give or take, no tracking...DRT. They are a hammer on deer, little small for elk IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.