Best Value Long Range Hunting Rifle up to $5k

I live in the phx area and have a gunsmith that has put 3 customs together for me this year. They are awesome. Send me a PM and I'll share the info

Much appreciated. I grew up in Tucson and Scottsdale for about the first 20 years of my life, good state. Is there anyone you would recommend to help me order and put together something like this- a shop or experienced person who would do for a fee? What are your thoughts about a ready to shoot system like Gunwerks whose website says they are a custom shop compared to piecing it together?
Do you have a preference/suggestion or dream scope/tube diameter for a custom rifle like this? Budget would be $2500.

Lot of great advice, well earned recommendations and gee whiz.
Doesn't sound like you've done much shooting.
Recommend you take a LR shooting course. Most require you to bring your own rifle, Gunwerks provides them for the training, and there are probably others too.

Not a lot of long range shooting. Looking to get into it.

I had a custom built this year, exactly what i wanted for around 5k. Also bought my wife a fierce. I absolutely love both, but for the price difference i think buy Fierce and use the money you save to learn to reload and shoot well.
Appreciate the advice.

I have owned quite a few custom hunting rifles over the years.....built by a number of different top shelf folks. I can say without question that McWhorter rifles are consistently as good as I've seen.
They will build custom off your specs and/or advise based on Your preferences. They also have a fairly wide selection of rifles in a range of calibers that are already built and load developed.
Ive bought "off the rack" and ordered up my own set of specs. Of the 4 centerfires and 2 smokeless muzzleloaders that I bought the worst performing was still amazing and grouped under .5 MOA......and that was the worst.
I will say their listed price will be a bit above 5k but if u call and talk to Allan Rovig and tell him your limit he will come down. They use the best components.....Hart, Bartlein, Brux barrels, Borden actions, jewel triggers to name a few.
If u want the name of a **** good guy in Illinois I'll send u his info. He built me a .280AI last yr and she's a beauty......I've had to develop my own Load and I learned a lot. But I've got it shooting well under .5moa and gun is spectacular......and all in was around $4300.
I'd go with McWhorter if u want a turn key rifle that is arriving ready to hunt along with several boxes of your hand loaded ammo.

Really great advice, much appreciated. I love the Proof Research stocks more than any others I have seen. Gunwerks stocks don't look all that good to me and I'd say the same with McWhorter. Although the looks of a stock isn't a big deal do you think Proof Research sells their stocks and McWhorter could use theirs for my gun? Thanks!

Jarrett beanfield rifles are worth a look too. They probably had as much as anyone to do with the custom rifle craze we are enjoying today. He has even started making his own barrels now because he is so picky about quality. I dont have any first hand experience with customs, so my knowledge on Jarrett rifles is purely second hand. I like screwing my own rifles together and have had great luck building remage barrel rifles . Sub 1/2 moa accuracy is very doable . Just get a good 700 action and pick out the barrel , trigger, stock , and optics that you want , bolt it all together and either work up a load or have one of the custom ammo outfits work one up for you . Building your own rifle makes those tight little 5 shot groups look that much better ;)

Appreciate the good advice!

Not a lot of long range shooting. Looking to get into it.
It's a hoot, like driving the green and putting for eagle on several par fours in 18 holes. Even if you got a triple bogey on several other holes and finished ten over, it's hard to wipe the smile off your face.
I'd also recommend you seek LR shooters in your area and ask if you can shoot with them, shoot their rifles. It's a quick way to see what you like, and more importantly, do NOT like, in LR rigs.

Dan- one more question, what game are you hunting on a yearly basis? Small big game like deer and antelope or large big game like elk?

Dan- I"m going to suggest something a bit out of the norm of what's talked about here. Sounds like you're mainly looking at 500 yards on in. If you'll be hunting in the west much something that's a bit less weight (than most suggested) might be welcome. PLus, one can do a lot of really good work out to 500-700 which on game (not steel) is one heck of a long *** ways!

That said, I'd suggest you at least stick your toe in the water on the idea of calling Melvin Forbes of NULA rifles. He's a wonderful fella and a wealth of info when it comes to building rifles.

Take a look at his model 28, along with a #2 contour and I do think he does 3's as well. Add a Jewell and scope of choice and viola you've a wonderful hunt rig. Scoped it'll probably be in the 7.5 round range "all up" with sling and rounds.

Last thing to consider, and I know you said you wanted to go 300 WM so forgive me in advance....but I'd take a long hard look at doing something like a 257 or 270 Wby, 264 WM or probably the best and easiest of the lot a 7 RM. All of those can do all you need done and without the recoil of the 300 WM. Just a thunk...

For my 60th birthday a couple years ago I got one of Melvins rifles, a Model 24, #2, Jewell in 270 Win. It's pretty much a big holer and I can go to 700 on demand with it. Easy to shoot and carry as well.

Best of luck to you, it's always a fun journey!

Why not just call benchmark barrels take a 300 win mag you already have And make it what you want benchmark barrels makes some of the best barrels in the business they are local in Washington State

Great advice thank you. Gunwerks is so expensive. Did you find it odd that this more expensive gun was on par with your Seekins? I like Gunwerks just due to the load performance and they really seem to have their act together and be a one stop shop. If going custom in your opinion is far superior than a Gunwerks then that is saying something- is that correct?

If you use this logic, a 360 dollar Ruger american that shoots half moa is equivalent...:)

There is more to a long range system than just group size!

Also, I would implore all users of this site to please use the words accuracy and precision correctly.

I find that the long range shooting sports puts way to much focus on precision. I quick study of hit probability will show you that shooting and learning wind will get better hits at distance that chasing 1/8 moa better group size.

For long shots accuracy is where we can improve measurably.

wind, angle, mirage............years back I shot a ton load of chucks every summer. Always used my big game rifles, this taught me a heck of a lot come fall. Sticking a bullet in a bulls ear @ 500 didn't seem too tough:) after shooting chucks all summer from 300-700

If you use this logic, a 360 dollar Ruger american that shoots half moa is equivalent...:)

There is more to a long range system than just group size!

Also, I would implore all users of this site to please use the words accuracy and precision correctly.

I find that the long range shooting sports puts way to much focus on precision. I quick study of hit probability will show you that shooting and learning wind will get better hits at distance that chasing 1/8 moa better group size.

For long shots accuracy is where we can improve measurably.

So with your logic, is Gunwerks worth the extra money and if so what specifically makes it worth that? I see you work there so I appreciate your expertise. Also great advise on your other input, thanks.

Dan- I"m going to suggest something a bit out of the norm of what's talked about here. Sounds like you're mainly looking at 500 yards on in. If you'll be hunting in the west much something that's a bit less weight (than most suggested) might be welcome. PLus, one can do a lot of really good work out to 500-700 which on game (not steel) is one heck of a long *** ways!

That said, I'd suggest you at least stick your toe in the water on the idea of calling Melvin Forbes of NULA rifles. He's a wonderful fella and a wealth of info when it comes to building rifles.

Take a look at his model 28, along with a #2 contour and I do think he does 3's as well. Add a Jewell and scope of choice and viola you've a wonderful hunt rig. Scoped it'll probably be in the 7.5 round range "all up" with sling and rounds.

Last thing to consider, and I know you said you wanted to go 300 WM so forgive me in advance....but I'd take a long hard look at doing something like a 257 or 270 Wby, 264 WM or probably the best and easiest of the lot a 7 RM. All of those can do all you need done and without the recoil of the 300 WM. Just a thunk...

For my 60th birthday a couple years ago I got one of Melvins rifles, a Model 24, #2, Jewell in 270 Win. It's pretty much a big holer and I can go to 700 on demand with it. Easy to shoot and carry as well.

Best of luck to you, it's always a fun journey!

Love the different advice, it makes good sense and will definitely give it some thought. Will try to reach out to that gentleman as well. Appreciate your time trying to help me get the best gun!

Dan- one more question, what game are you hunting on a yearly basis? Small big game like deer and antelope or large big game like elk?

All of the above and more. From antelope up to elk and everything in between. I will be taking very long shots on antelope in the plains.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.