Best Value Long Range Hunting Rifle up to $5k

Yes they are a lot more expensive than that. I'm wondering why they are $10k including the scope and load development, is it far superior parts? Seems like a lot of guys on here can build top notch custom rifles using the same parts for like $5k plus the scope.
I think a lot of it is that some people have more money than time. The first one I bought was something I had saved up for years to buy. I had always wanted a custom rifle and so I bought it. The second one came up at the same time I had just booked a hunt to South Africa for Buffalo and I needed a large bore rifle. A gentleman in New York had purchased the rifle for the same reason and his hunt got cancelled so he decided to sell it for way less than what it cost so his loss was my gain. Custom rifles take time to gather the parts and find the right guy to build them. If you have the time to wait for a custom build than you would probably be money ahead with a rifle that will shoot just as well.

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase the best rifle possible up to $5k (I could go higher if it met my goal explained below or half that amount in a very comparable rifle). I figure if I am going to mostly be using 1 main gun for a very long time then spend the money now and get the best. But with spending a lot of money I'm looking for the absolute best value in that price range. I'm also open to non traditional hunting rifles like reasonably weighted ELR or MPR if need be with my goals in mind. I believe these are considered more accurate typically?

Like I also stated I'm open to paying around $2500 on a factory rifle if that rifle was incredible value and very, very comparable to a much higher priced rifle. I'll give you an example with Christensen Arms brand. I know the Ridgeline or Traverse are excellent factory rifles at around $2300 and they also offer the MPR for $2400 which might be more accurate and I've read that rifle could cost double that amount for what you get. I've seen Proof Research custom rifles that range from $4k to $7k range. This again is an example of what I'm processing with any brand and trying to make the best decision on (is that extra money worth it and which brands and guns people recommend for both price ranges).

I'm set on the .300 Win Mag for my hunting needs and for that distance range so not looking for any other caliber advice. Id like to have a 26 or 27" barrel. I'm looking for the best of the best in accuracy as my main goal. I don't mind a slightly heavier gun with an ELR or MPR.

Thanks in advance as I greatly appreciate everyone's experience and taking time to respond!

Dan
I have not read all of the responses on this thread, but if you are going
build one, build your own buy a custom Action, like Kelby, Defiance, Terminus, Bighorn Origin, etc buy a Pre-fit barrel in the cartridge you want, with a good McMillan, Grayboe, etc stocks, trigger, bottom metal for less than 3k. Another avenue is take a look at Bergara Ridgeback in 300 Win Mag or 300 PRC, you can purchase one from TSS Warehouse for 1803.00

Although I too want a true custom one of these days, I will second the Bergara suggestion as far as accuracy for the money. I recently purchased an HMR Pro Premier in 6.5 PRC. Comes with factory shot target. If you can find a few on hand, you can cherry pick gun by the target. Mine had a 0.4" target later confirmed by myself. Heavy gun though with a NF on top.

Get a good Custom. Not a doubt in my mind.
Good custom action like Kelbly, Defiance, Stiller, Lone Peak
Bartlein, Brux, Kreiger steel barrel, or even a Bartlein or Proof CF wrapped
Manners or McMillan stock
TriggerTech, Bix N Andy or Timney trigger

Agree +100
4723FFDE-7949-4869-981D-D17A0D96BA05.jpeg

I just finishing a 300 PRC build, (almost a ballistic twin to the 300 win that you want), built by a local Smith on a defiance action, proof barrel, and manners stock. The last three builds I have from this Smith are also defiance action, proof barrel and manners stocks. They are exceptional shooters, they shoot better than I do—.2-.3 moa when I'm good and .4-.5 all day. In a better shooters hands, who knows. All were $4200-4600. bought a used mark 5 for one and took scopes off of factory rifles I wasn't going to use anymore. (Mark 5 and a vx5hd and a nightforce). Sold the factory rifles to offset the cost of the builds. If you have a scope you can use until you save up for a better one, spend that 5K on a custom build. If you need both scope and rifle, I recommend seekins. They are the best bang for the buck in my opinion. You could get a high quality scope rings and Seekins rifle for right around 4K and have 1k for ammo/reloading gear and steel gongs, or rangefinder and kestrel etc etc. I have personally had Gunwerks, fierce, Christensen, and seekins. All are now with new owners except the seekins and custom builds. The custom builds are far superior and the two Seekins I own are on par with Gunwerks for group sizes and better shooters than the fierce or Christensen.
Good luck! It's a fun and addicting endeavor you are undertaking !

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase the best rifle possible up to $5k (I could go higher if it met my goal explained below or half that amount in a very comparable rifle). I figure if I am going to mostly be using 1 main gun for a very long time then spend the money now and get the best. But with spending a lot of money I'm looking for the absolute best value in that price range. I'm also open to non traditional hunting rifles like reasonably weighted ELR or MPR if need be with my goals in mind. I believe these are considered more accurate typically?

Like I also stated I'm open to paying around $2500 on a factory rifle if that rifle was incredible value and very, very comparable to a much higher priced rifle. I'll give you an example with Christensen Arms brand. I know the Ridgeline or Traverse are excellent factory rifles at around $2300 and they also offer the MPR for $2400 which might be more accurate and I've read that rifle could cost double that amount for what you get. I've seen Proof Research custom rifles that range from $4k to $7k range. This again is an example of what I'm processing with any brand and trying to make the best decision on (is that extra money worth it and which brands and guns people recommend for both price ranges).

I'm set on the .300 Win Mag for my hunting needs and for that distance range so not looking for any other caliber advice. Id like to have a 26 or 27" barrel. I'm looking for the best of the best in accuracy as my main goal. I don't mind a slightly heavier gun with an ELR or MPR.

Thanks in advance as I greatly appreciate everyone's experience and taking time to respond!

Dan

I think a lot of it is that some people have more money than time. The first one I bought was something I had saved up for years to buy. I had always wanted a custom rifle and so I bought it. The second one came up at the same time I had just booked a hunt to South Africa for Buffalo and I needed a large bore rifle. A gentleman in New York had purchased the rifle for the same reason and his hunt got cancelled so he decided to sell it for way less than what it cost so his loss was my gain. Custom rifles take time to gather the parts and find the right guy to build them. If you have the time to wait for a custom build than you would probably be money ahead with a rifle that will shoot just as well.
Yes sir I agree. If people got money burning a hole in their pocket they can send it my way. LoL. But Really. I'm not knocking it. If people have the money to do so and able to make the purchase Than by all means go ahead. I just wish I had their problem. I like it how everyone has different ideas and see thangs from a different point of view. I feel it's those thangs that make life interesting and enjoyable. I'm 47 years old and I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row so I can retire at 55 years old. Would really like to travel so I can hunt more often in different states. Meet new people.

Yes sir I agree. If people got money burning a hole in their pocket they can send it my way. LoL. But Really. I'm not knocking it. If people have the money to do so and able to make the purchase Than by all means go ahead. I just wish I had their problem. I like it how everyone has different ideas and see thangs from a different point of view. I feel it's those thangs that make life interesting and enjoyable. I'm 47 years old and I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row so I can retire at 55 years old. Would really like to travel so I can hunt more often in different states. Meet new people.

I might of missed it Dan, but me thinks this is a hunt rig if so how long is long to you and to what ranges do you expect to be killing to on a consistant basis?

I might of missed it Dan, but me thinks this is a hunt rig if so how long is long to you and to what ranges do you expect to be killing to on a consistant basis?

Great question. 500 yards probably but I've not taken a lot of longer shots b/c of my old .30-06. So I'd like to be able to take as long as a shot if the opportunity presents itself.

I just finishing a 300 PRC build, (almost a ballistic twin to the 300 win that you want), built by a local Smith on a defiance action, proof barrel, and manners stock. The last three builds I have from this Smith are also defiance action, proof barrel and manners stocks. They are exceptional shooters, they shoot better than I do—.2-.3 moa when I'm good and .4-.5 all day. In a better shooters hands, who knows. All were $4200-4600. bought a used mark 5 for one and took scopes off of factory rifles I wasn't going to use anymore. (Mark 5 and a vx5hd and a nightforce). Sold the factory rifles to offset the cost of the builds. If you have a scope you can use until you save up for a better one, spend that 5K on a custom build. If you need both scope and rifle, I recommend seekins. They are the best bang for the buck in my opinion. You could get a high quality scope rings and Seekins rifle for right around 4K and have 1k for ammo/reloading gear and steel gongs, or rangefinder and kestrel etc etc. I have personally had Gunwerks, fierce, Christensen, and seekins. All are now with new owners except the seekins and custom builds. The custom builds are far superior and the two Seekins I own are on par with Gunwerks for group sizes and better shooters than the fierce or Christensen.

Great advice thank you. Gunwerks is so expensive. Did you find it odd that this more expensive gun was on par with your Seekins? I like Gunwerks just due to the load performance and they really seem to have their act together and be a one stop shop. If going custom in your opinion is far superior than a Gunwerks then that is saying something- is that correct?

Do you mind sharing who the Smith is that you use? If not no worries but sounds like a great rifle and good price.

I have not read all of the responses on this thread, but if you are going
build one, build your own buy a custom Action, like Kelby, Defiance, Terminus, Bighorn Origin, etc buy a Pre-fit barrel in the cartridge you want, with a good McMillan, Grayboe, etc stocks, trigger, bottom metal for less than 3k. Another avenue is take a look at Bergara Ridgeback in 300 Win Mag or 300 PRC, you can purchase one from TSS Warehouse for 1803.00
Great advice, much appreciated!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.