Best Value 223/556 Barrel?

Hoss50

My younger son and I are working on his first AR upper. We have tentatively decided on 223/556 as the caliber in a 16" light to medium profile. He is 9 currently and we want to keep the weight down.

Who makes a good barrel for the dollar? I see Ballistic Advantage and Faxon alot in the $150-250 price range, but read good and bad on them? I have been looking at Wilson Combat also, on sale they can go under $300.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thank
Harley

I've been running the Odin works barrels on my ar 15 builds and they are as good as the big $$ makers. They still come with there adjustable gas block so that saves about a hundred bucks . Timing is everything and if primary arms is running a sale on barrels they can be alot cheaper.
They are the real deal. I have 2 on squared uppers. Both shoot really well with factory loads. About 3/4" average. 1/2 that with good handloads. Another real sleeper for a hunting gun is AR Performance. They make the 6 8 into a whole nuther cat. Put a good brake on one of their 18" barrel and it is a great deer gun for a child and a hog killing machine for dad. Both companies make top shelf stuff for a fair price.

I built 3 with Wilson Combat barrels. 223 Wylde, 300 Ham'r and 300 blackout. I use the 223 for coyote hunting and the Ham'r for deer hunting. Both group .75 moa or better depending on ammunition. I'm using the 110gr Lehigh Defense in the Ham'r and it really dropped 2 does in their tracks at 100 and 130 yards. I bought mine on sale and really like them.

I did just finish a 300blk build with a ballistic advantage barrel. I haven't got to shooting it yet so no opinion on how it does. It's going to be my Texas hog gun and stands are inside 50 yds at my buddies place. Planning on 110 gr and some subs running suppressed. I'll probably get out this week and set the gas block for the 110 as I'm still waiting for my cans to get outa jail

Attachments

• 20240323_160039.jpg
    20240323_160039.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 28
I think that FN CHF are really good and you can find them on sale but they're still a little expensive, Bear Creek Arsenal has a CHF line of barrel which I haven't tried and theirs have been questionable at times. That said I have several of their uppers and I like their side chargers for very reasonable prices.

I've had really good luck with Odin Works ( 3 or so barrels) and I also have a fluted Faxon stainless barrel that shoots wonderfully as well.
If you're looking for deals, a lot of times around the holidays you can pick a barrel up on sale. Also, I've ordered from websites other than the manufacture and have received a better sale price.

I went through a similar situation and decided on White Oak Armament after significant research, very happy I did. I purchased one of their standard barrels which I believe use Wilson blanks. Would highly recommend them, fit and finish was excellent, Quality factory loads are easily shooting under 1MOA and still working on dialing in a hand load, but several have been around 1/2 moa. Good luck.

I have 3 criterion core barrels. The barrel is true tapered with a .625 gas block it keeps the weight down and brings it to the rear. All have been 3/4 MOA. Really impressive for a chrome lined barrel. They can be found for $289 sometimes less if you look around. They also do a Mil/LE discount if that applies to you.

My younger son and I are working on his first AR upper. We have tentatively decided on 223/556 as the caliber in a 16" light to medium profile. He is 9 currently and we want to keep the weight down.

Who makes a good barrel for the dollar? I see Ballistic Advantage and Faxon alot in the $150-250 price range, but read good and bad on them? I have been looking at Wilson Combat also, on sale they can go under $300.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thank
Harley
Try White Oak Armaments barrels. Competitive prices. Good folks!

I feel that the heart of the rifle is the barrel and I'm willing to spend more there, first. I've used White Oak and Clear Lake and don't hesitate to recommend either. I also have an AR10 barrel that is a Brownell's 'house brand', but that was made by Satern that shoots extremely well. Would not hesitate to order an AR barrel direct from them either.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thank
Harley

I made one of these light weight 1.54 pound .625 gas block rifles. 8:1 or 9:1 are good all around twist rates. 16 inch barrels are really down on velocity when compared to 18 and even better 20 inch. You want rifle length gas tubes.