Best sub $400 hunting scope?

Happy Sunday y'all. I have two buddies in need of a hunting scope that are both in the same boat of limited funds.

My first friend and I were at the range yesterday with his 30-06 sporting a Vanguard scope, we kept dialing elevation but could not get any on target change. Eventually the reticle even canted under recoil. This is a replacement from Vanguard for another broken optic. Needless to say he's done with Vanguard.

Another buddy is a brand new hunter, I talked him up budget a little to a Tikka T3X and now that rifle needs a scope.

Both have a budget of around $400. Anyone have a suggestion in this range? I am less familiar down in this range. A quick look on Midway shows options from Nikon, Burris, Bushnell, and Vortex. Any great closeout deals?
The best deal I've seen lately is at Midway USA for an Athelon Ares BTR 2.5-15 X50 for $399.00. The 4.5-27 x 50 was $424 (I bought one for my 204 Ruger AR15 and liked it. Shot a 3/8" group with it.

Burris 4.5x14 x42mm w/ 30mm tube, under 325.00 at most places. Have used Burris scopes for over 30 years. Only sent one back and service was very good and fast. Best buy for the money in my opinion.

Happy Sunday y'all. I have two buddies in need of a hunting scope that are both in the same boat of limited funds.

My first friend and I were at the range yesterday with his 30-06 sporting a Vanguard scope, we kept dialing elevation but could not get any on target change. Eventually the reticle even canted under recoil. This is a replacement from Vanguard for another broken optic. Needless to say he's done with Vanguard.

Another buddy is a brand new hunter, I talked him up budget a little to a Tikka T3X and now that rifle needs a scope.

Both have a budget of around $400. Anyone have a suggestion in this range? I am less familiar down in this range. A quick look on Midway shows options from Nikon, Burris, Bushnell, and Vortex. Any great closeout deals?

First or Second focal plane will make a difference in purchasing power.
What is their preference, and what distances do they shoot at during hunting season?

I highly doubt these guys are going to be dialing, I'd look on ebay for used zeiss and swaros.
eBay is tricky, bunch counterfeit product. I don't have as much experience as others. I guess FFP hunting scope to save weight and just use holdover be Burris Veracity or Bushnell Nitro.

I love SWFA scopes but bought the Athlon 4.5-27 Ares for $424 & love its christmas tree reticle. $424 from Amazon & Midway in Mil which I prefer over MOA but own both. 1/2 price from a few weeks ago & is a FFP. Midway Product #: 863101. I went thru Amazon to get it quicker & no hassle/reason return.
This has a 30mm & 50mm bell for more light & is very clear, much better than their Argos line.

Last edited:
https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-vx-freedom-4-12x40-1-inch-riflescopes.html
this is a great scope and Leopold is a great company they are clear and very light and this is a great reticle

61fQ6u%2BFiCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Athlon ares 4x27x50mm. Zero stop, illuminated. At Midwayusa, about $425. Looks real good.

What he said. Midway and Amazon both have them right now at $425 plus maybe tax. I bought 2 at that price. A member on another forum did a tracking test and it came out at 98%. Cant beat it for the price. Ive been using it on a Valkyrie build and have so far shot out to 580yds with no problems.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.