Newcon 1500 best sub $400 LRF?

DartonJager

I am completely overwhelmed by how many LRF there are out there and by all the reviews of them. I would absolutely love to buy a Swarovski but I simply can not afford it, period.

My MUST HAVE requirements in a LRF are it be able to reliably make accurate, repeatable distance measurements in yards out to 600 yards under all but the worst hunting conditions.

Have been reading a GREAT many positive reviews of Newcon LRF's, and the Newcon 1500 fits my must have recs perfectly according to the reviews. I did a search here on LRF but came up short on solid information.

So in the UNDER and I do mean UNDER $400 price range is there a better choice for a hunting LRF than the Newcon 1500 for a 600 yard max application ranging deer and elk?

Thanks ever so much,
DJ.

The more you play around with long range shooting, the more you learn that there are definitely preferred products on the market that it seems a majority of people use. There is a reason: they are cost effective AND they work for the application otherwise they are useless junk...

Probably the best bang for the buck and function rangefinder on the market right now for your application is the Sig Sauer kilo 2000 rangefinder. There are tons of reviews on the rangefinder. It is has been a smash hit, for long range hunters since it's introduction. It cost around $500 though I believe. If my budget were only $400, I would save until I could affort this one. Since it is also a popular rangefinder, you would also have no problem selling it, if you decided too.

Here's a link to goo thread about it on LRH:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/sig-sauer-kilo-2000-rangefinder-161599/

Thanks for the info I will start saving now wont need a new LRF for some months. Heard a great deal of good about the new SIG LRF. Decided against the Leica because of the lack of warranty, I feel a LRF that costs as much as the Leica should come with at least a 10 year no questions asked warranty if not life time like the SIG. I simply CAN NOT afford the Swarovski, love to just cant afford it.

Just watched the vids I your link, my search is over will be buying a SIG.

My Sig 2000 smashes my buddies Newcom 1500 in every aspect such as ranging ability, clarity, speed etc. mine has returned hits to 2788 yds on a water tower and have ranged elk to 1700 and deer out to 1350 which is as far as I have tried.

You can find the Sig 2000's for as low as $379 on sale and typically around $429 pretty easily.

If I stumble across one for $379 I will snatch it up instantly NQA.
Thanks again. Another reason I absolutely HATE pay big bucks for any type of electronic device or equipment is the rate of technology obsolescence, they are CONSTANTLY coming out with better and more effective models, usually for less money.

I presently have a Leupold LRF (was a gift I wouldn't have bought myself) on its way back to Leupold that when it returns I will sell it to help fund the SIG. Leupold is sending me a new unit, and it's already sold.

Thanks Barrelnut for the info.

My new SIG Kilo 2000 is on it's way. Paid $365.49 and happy to do so. Thanks for the links everyone. Santa came WAY early to Whiting this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.