newcon 1500,leica 1200,or bushnell elite 1500

fireball10x

Hi I'm looking for a new rangefinder I'm a gunsmith and I have tried a few of them but they were cheaper ones and some of them wouldn't work well on woodchucks the best one i tried so far was a nikon 800 now they have a 1200 but i haven't tried one yet i hear the leica is real good one.Have any of you tried the newcon 1500 or new nikon also bushnell has the new elite 1500 Also I was wondering about the laser binocular rangefinders burris or leupold or bushnell it would be nice to have both in one unit Thanks Ron

I have a leica 900 and have had a chance to compare with some bushnells....there is a clear difference both in performance and in price.

Leica is not just more accurate and gives a better and clearer picture but also faster to give you the readings; besides, the scan function makes it easier to use since you can start the ranging anywhere and move ot tpowsrds your objective.

The 1200 has to be similar, but allowing for longer range than the 900.

I just bought a Leica after owning the bushnell and I can tell you this is even the same device. I hit a cow sat from the stand at 981. I ranged a cedar tree at 1237. They say swaro is better but I don't need any more than this. You can buy the 1200 leica from cameraland right now for 539. Very good value.
T

I am not familiar with the Newcon, but I would take the Leica over the Bushnell Elite 1500 any day. Much better rangefinder. It is more expensive, but the old saying holds true, "You get what you pay for".

I have had both the Leica 1200 and the Swarovski 1500. The Leica was a little handier, but the Swaro ranged a bit further and the 30MM objective was brighter than the 25mm Leica.

Both are awsome. I have also had lesser rangefinders, and I gave them to my JR PETA members to play army with and range to their skateboard with. For me, that is all they were good for!!!:D

No field experience with the Newcon. Have heard pros and cons. I think the cons out way any of the pros.

Have field experience with the Bushnell and Leica 1200 Scan, the square one.

Hands down its the Leica. Accuracy, distance, smaller target area are all in the Leica's favor. I did a bit of a personal test over several days in the hills. It was great for ranging back into the trees as long as the sighting square would fit w/in the opening between trees. One spot showed a distance of 95 yards into the trees and was repeatable.

I suppose as with all of them, fresh batteries are a plus.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.