Best sub $400 hunting scope?

A straight 20X for a hunting gun???? Come on guys get real. That field of view at 100 yds would be less than eight feet. On a hunting gun???.1000 yd steel... OK

SWFA runs sales where their demo 3-15x42 models are around $350. At the end of every year they'll have a sale for new SWFA 3-15x42 for $399.

I have two HD 5-20x50, one 3-15x42, one 10x, and two 6x. The 6x are pretty sweet and are on my 6.5 Grendel and .300BO for deer and hog rifles. Got them for $200 each on this forum. Normally go for $300 on SWFA website.

In my opinion the fixed 6x are the best for a general purpose scope. It's great for messing around at the range and then taking them out for hunting. Super tough, great field of view, excellent glass, and repeatable / reliable turrets even though their reticle works great too. I use it a lot out to 2-300 yards with my rock river arms .300 Blackout. It's fun shooting 4 inch steel with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I agree I wouldn't go past 10x on any fixed power scope. Nothing against SWFA, personally, but I feel like you're really limiting yourself with field of view and quick shot capabilities on anything past 10x.

For a hunting scope I would not go over 6x on a fixed power. I would look for a good used scope.

Currently I recommend the Vortex Viper series for that price range. Nikon has some good products in that price range as well but its more about what features you want. Pretty limited in that price range especially if you want to dial. Used Zeiss products are close to that price point.

Happy Sunday y'all. I have two buddies in need of a hunting scope that are both in the same boat of limited funds.

My first friend and I were at the range yesterday with his 30-06 sporting a Vanguard scope, we kept dialing elevation but could not get any on target change. Eventually the reticle even canted under recoil. This is a replacement from Vanguard for another broken optic. Needless to say he's done with Vanguard.

Another buddy is a brand new hunter, I talked him up budget a little to a Tikka T3X and now that rifle needs a scope.

Both have a budget of around $400. Anyone have a suggestion in this range? I am less familiar down in this range. A quick look on Midway shows options from Nikon, Burris, Bushnell, and Vortex. Any great closeout deals?

Your friends could go on ebay and buy sub $400 Leupolds all day long. You probably know all about Leupolds, so I won't bore you with how even the old outdated models are still great scopes. Those are the ones I tend to purchase...one man's junk is another man's treasure on ebay, lol.

I personally like the Primary arms optics. The ACSS reticles are fast and easy to use. For quick aquisition and shooting there is none better. If you dial for windage/elevation you could probably find something else.

Happy Sunday y'all. I have two buddies in need of a hunting scope that are both in the same boat of limited funds.

My first friend and I were at the range yesterday with his 30-06 sporting a Vanguard scope, we kept dialing elevation but could not get any on target change. Eventually the reticle even canted under recoil. This is a replacement from Vanguard for another broken optic. Needless to say he's done with Vanguard.

Another buddy is a brand new hunter, I talked him up budget a little to a Tikka T3X and now that rifle needs a scope.

Both have a budget of around $400. Anyone have a suggestion in this range? I am less familiar down in this range. A quick look on Midway shows options from Nikon, Burris, Bushnell, and Vortex. Any great closeout deals?
Athlon Optics Argos BTR 6-24x50 either in MOA or MIL for about $370.00. I own 2 of these scopes and for the money there work very well and the warranty and glass are great....

Last time I was at sportsman's Warehouse, which was last weekend, they had Vortex Razor HD LH scopes on sale for $399. Had I not just finished up my first custom rifle, I probably would have scooped a couple up.

I have had lots of luck with Vortex scopes on the budget side of things. The crossfire 2 series are decent, but the viper series had been really good in that process range. Also, dont forget about the Vortex veterans program. It's a great way to maximize your dollars, if you qualify.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.