Best sub $400 hunting scope?

If your bud is a Veteran, Retired Mil, or First Responder I HIGHLY recommend ExpertVoice!! 40% off of Vortex and similar deals with other brands,,, Sightmark has an equally aggressive pricing program for the same group and their better scopes are just as good as others... Just my two cents...

From your post - do your friends hunt in the western states ? Is weight a consideration ? If using a 30-06 is very high end magnification necessary ? I would lean towards a 3x9, 4x12 or 4.5x14 variable in a quality used Leupold VX2 or VX3 or Zeiss Conquest with a 40 to 44mm objective. These will be clear, reliable & repeatable scopes without breaking the budget. Plus both companies have great warranty if ever needed. Again assuming purpose is geared to big game hunting.

It hasn't been mentioned yet but the Sightron S-tac is a great budget optic for right around $400. The one I've been able to play with was 4-20x50. The glass was good and the best part was the scope tracking was spot on. The duplex reticle version goes for $410 and the moa reticle $469 but I've seem them sell for around $350 used. It's a lot of scope for the money

With the right sale and/or coupon, you can get a new Leupold VX-3i with CDS for under $400; I've paid just over 350 for mine. For a "budget" scope I find these to be exceptionally good optics, and highly recommend them.

Happy Sunday y'all. I have two buddies in need of a hunting scope that are both in the same boat of limited funds.

My first friend and I were at the range yesterday with his 30-06 sporting a Vanguard scope, we kept dialing elevation but could not get any on target change. Eventually the reticle even canted under recoil. This is a replacement from Vanguard for another broken optic. Needless to say he's done with Vanguard.

Another buddy is a brand new hunter, I talked him up budget a little to a Tikka T3X and now that rifle needs a scope.

Both have a budget of around $400. Anyone have a suggestion in this range? I am less familiar down in this range. A quick look on Midway shows options from Nikon, Burris, Bushnell, and Vortex. Any great closeout deals?

Standard price for a Primary Arms Silver Series 4-14x44mm FFP Rifle Scope - MIL-DOT is $229. I use this on a M700 LR in 30-06. Last year I took a doe at 215 yds from a rest, a small buck at 50 yds offhand, and a large buck at 20 feet. As a hunting scope, it has worked well for me. The minimum four power setting made it slightly harder to pick up the buck after missing a moving shot in brush at 20 yards but it had enough field of view to recover and get the shot at 20 feet as he charged uphill and directly at me.
It also has a three year warranty.

There are a lot of good suggestions so far but some may not work for you if your using the existing mounts and rings. So you may have to buy them, especially if your going with a 30mm tube. Buy good quality rings/mount. I see a lot of hunters buy great glass and cheap rings/mount, then wonder why the groups are crap. Get what you can afford this hunting season to get yo thru and upgrade during the offseason. Its almost to late, not your fault, a ton of great sales happened already.

Good luck!

Not sure why, but I see little reference to Zeiss Conquests and Victorys on here. For $400, you/friend could find a used conquest in more power than a 3-9 and I personally love them. I have 4 in various configurations including a Z600, Z800, Z1000 and they are all excellent. For light gathering and clarity, to me, they are way less expensive and as good as Swarovski's older scopes (e.g. 4-12x50BR) and I have 2 of them as well.

With the right sale and/or coupon, you can get a new Leupold VX-3i with CDS for under $400; I've paid just over 350 for mine. For a "budget" scope I find these to be exceptionally good optics, and highly recommend them.

I didn't quite get my 4.5 x 14 that low of price but it is a very nice piece of glass. What I really like about it is that its extremely light weight and short. I got mine for a Tikka Superlite and the Leopold weighs half of what my Athlon Ares does. For a light compact rifle that VX-3i is hard to beat.

Need more info on weight, distance if shots, etc. If it's set it and forget it 300 yards and in, I'd pay for something that has better low light performance (Leupold vx3 comes to mind). I have no problem buying used leupolds, they stand behind the product decades down the road. If longer shots are likely and weight isn't an issue, there are many good options for dialing and holding. I believe they can find a quality scope to fit their needs either way.

Happy Sunday y'all. I have two buddies in need of a hunting scope that are both in the same boat of limited funds.

My first friend and I were at the range yesterday with his 30-06 sporting a Vanguard scope, we kept dialing elevation but could not get any on target change. Eventually the reticle even canted under recoil. This is a replacement from Vanguard for another broken optic. Needless to say he's done with Vanguard.

Another buddy is a brand new hunter, I talked him up budget a little to a Tikka T3X and now that rifle needs a scope.

Both have a budget of around $400. Anyone have a suggestion in this range? I am less familiar down in this range. A quick look on Midway shows options from Nikon, Burris, Bushnell, and Vortex. Any great closeout deals?

Vortex has several models out there that should do well with a 30-06

Vortex Crossfire ll

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.