Best scope under $600

Sniper's Hide and other forums is where you will find the best deals.

I would look at a Night Force SHV model.
Stay away from Nikon, their lowlight performance is terrible , especially at your price range. If you are strictly hunting get some good glass for that rifle. It can mean all the difference in a hunt. Buy once cry once

Hard to find a SHV for under $500. But yes, if willing to go used, a better scope can be had for the same price as a new anything.

Here's another vote for the classified section of LRH. Speaking from experience, I purchased a Vortex Viper 6.5 x 20 from one of the members here and the price was 1/2 of new. The scope was perfect and mounted on my 25:06AI, is proving itself to be a very good scope - clarity and adjustments - and the Vortex warranty is exceptional; even for a second owner.

The Athlon Midas Tac is a great optic in your price range. It tracks true, has a capped windage, excellent reticles and clear glass. Another great optic that has been mentioned is the Burris Veracity, mtac or even the Fulfield ii line of scopes. The old 4.5-14 FF ii I put on my sons deer rifle offers great glass and while sighting in, the scope tracked excellent. There are some good Burris deals going right now. Buy a Veracity get a Free FF optic.

EDIT: As PredatorSlayer said, The Japanese-Made Weaver tactical line are amazing for the price. The reticles are a bit dated, and there no zerostop, but the glass is phenomenal and tracking proves to be spot on. I own 2 2-10x36s, 1 3-10 midway special, and previously owned the 6-30x56. I only sold the 6-30 to fun another Minox ZP5 purchase.

Last edited:
For varmint use at up to 500-yards I would go with a 3-12x minimum. In your price range, if you can hold out for sales, the SWFA SS 3-15x42 30-mm tube MQ reticle is hard to beat. Next last round of sales just ended with Labor Day with that scope being less than $600, with sunshade.

But if you have a self imposed limit of 300-yards for varmints or hunting in general the 3-9x42 HD SWFA with MQ reticule is what I would be looking at.

I do like the zeiss conquest, vortex, leupolds and weavers (classics). Nikons are a hit or miss. Lately, the SWFA has been my gold standard when comparing to the others when looking at mid-price optics.

I really like the Zeiss Conquest lines but you have to come across some really good sales to get into your price range. I have on occasions come across a 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest for $349 but that was maybe 5-years ago and I have yet to see them chat cheap, but has since been discontinued. Avoid the Terra lines.

I just recently purchased a browning X-bolt white gold medallion in maple with octagon barrel and am looking for a scope. I live on the east coast so 500 yards max. Mainly got it for plinking with occasional varmit. I've been looking at nikon monarch, zeiss conquest v4 and meopta meopro.. Any others you like or really any help is good help.. only think I need is price under $600
Nikon Black X 1000 best scope I have ever owned. You can get custom turrets and it is clear and no aberration around the periphery of the objective lens -- a clear field of view. $650.00 the warranty can not be beat.

For varmint use at up to 500-yards I would go with a 3-12x minimum. In your price range, if you can hold out for sales, the SWFA SS 3-15x42 30-mm tube MQ reticle is hard to beat. Next last round of sales just ended with Labor Day with that scope being less than $600, with sunshade.

But if you have a self imposed limit of 300-yards for varmints or hunting in general the 3-9x42 HD SWFA with MQ reticule is what I would be looking at.

I do like the zeiss conquest, vortex, leupolds and weavers (classics). Nikons are a hit or miss. Lately, the SWFA has been my gold standard when comparing to the others when looking at mid-price optics.

I really like the Zeiss Conquest lines but you have to come across some really good sales to get into your price range. I have on occasions come across a 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest for $349 but that was maybe 5-years ago and I have yet to see them chat cheap, but has since been discontinued. Avoid the Terra lines.
Found a ziess conquest v4 for 538

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.