Best Scope Under $1000

ChasMartel

I have a 6.5CM on order and am now researching for a scope to mount on it. The Leupold VX-3i LRP 6.5-20X 50mm looks like about the best one can get for under a grand. I have been a Leupold fan for over 40 years, but I haven't purchased a new scope in decades. I see that there are now many more offerings than there were back when I was in the game. Does anyone have other ideas or suggestions in this price range other than the Leupold model I have focused in on.

I would look at the Nightforce SHV. They seem to be a good scope for the money. Downside is weight for them but not sure if that is a concern.

I have a 6.5CM on order and am now researching for a scope to mount on it. The Leupold VX-3i LRP 6.5-20X 50mm looks like about the best one can get for under a grand. I have been a Leupold fan for over 40 years, but I haven't purchased a new scope in decades. I see that there are now many more offerings than there were back when I was in the game. Does anyone have other ideas or suggestions in this price range other than the Leupold model I have focused in on.
VX5HD 3-15
Vortex PST Gen 2
Nikon Black X1000's are all on clearance
Nightforce SHV

I am a huge Leupold and Vortex fan. Almost everything I own has a Vortex PST or Leupold VX5HD and VX6HD.

I can highly recommend the Leupold VX5 HD in your power of choice. Depending on reticle, they can be purchased in the $800-$900 range if you watch Cabela's for their 10% off days, or find a similar discount at OpticsPlanet. I have both the CDS Windplex reticle and firedot duplex reticle on two of the 3-15X models. I plan to convert my rifles over to this scope over time. I'm also a big fan of the Swarovski Z3 and these scopes can now be purchased around $800 depending on reticle. I have a Z3 4-12x50 on my elk rifle. I think this scope only weighs around 14 oz, whereas the Leupold VX 5 HD's weigh around 19 oz. For weight, the Swaro Z3 is tough to beat. The Swaro is a 1" tube, and the Leupold is a 30mm tube. Both have plenty of light for dawn/dusk hunting. I'd suggest having a look at both and make your decision.

I may get raked over this but I just bought a couple of Bushnell Forge scopes that have some great glass, comparable to my monarchs and Sightrons. They are on sale for 50% off and come with a rebate where you get Kenyon custom turret knobs for free. For a little over $100 you can get it with FFP reticles. Now granted I got mine for 22 lr rifles but would not mind having them on my 30-06. These scopes have 84 moa of internal elevation and zero stop, not bad for $399.

Last edited:
For what it's worth. I have a couple Nightforce scopes, never mounted, that I will be selling under $1,000. And hands down, in my opinion, nothing is better. I have 5 of them and just couldn't do anything else for myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.