Best Scope Under $1000

Any opinion on Leupold vx-6hd 3-18x50 versus , zeiss v4 6-24x50 versus, zeiss v6 5-30x50 ? For hunting and target , do have zeiss already and like but are all 5 plus years old , just wondering on the newer glass , like the fire dot idea, fairly close in price 900-1500. Thanks .

I have a Zeiss V4 6-24x50 and two Leupold VX-5HDs in 3-15x44 CDS (one with Windplex, one Duplex w Fire Dot). I did not like the Zeiss for antelope hunting on the open plains of CO. I found it is too much magnification to use the ZBR reticle (must be used at max magnification), the reduced FOV becomes impractical at longer hunting distances, and it picks up quite a bit of mirage at full magnification.

As a result of my experience, I proceeded to buy the Leupolds and specifically purchased the 3-15 to avoid too much magnification for hunting purposes. I really like this magnification for all around hunting and target shooting. I also have a Swaro Z3 4-12x50 and feel it is a great scope and magnification level for Western hunting. For hunting out West, I think 12-15 max magnification are ideal. I would say for target shooting and load development, I do really like the Zeiss V4 6-24x50. I have considered keeping it for this exact purpose, but removing it from my hunting rifles. Overall, I think for under $1K the Leupold VX-5HD and Swaro Z3's are the best glass for the dollar. The VX-5HD has the same glass as the VX-6HD, but just have a 5X magnification rather than the 6X magnification on the VX-6HD (i.e. 3-18).

Based on your recommendations I'd stick with the 3-18 VX-6HD if you plan to hunt. As an alternative, you could nearly buy a VX-5HD in 3-15 AND a Conquest V4 for the same money as the higher end scopes you are mentioning. Just a thought.

Another fan of the Sightron S-III 8-32x56. I have one on my Ruger M77 Varmint/Target in 6.5 CM bench rest rifle. Good glass, bright, and overall a great scope for the money.

Another fan of the Sightron S-III 8-32x56. I have one on my Ruger M77 Varmint/Target in 6.5 CM bench rest rifle. Good glass, bright, and overall a great scope for the money.
Funny that you mentioned being a fan of Sightron as I am. A few years ago when they first came out I was reluctant to buy one and ended up buying 4 of them. People thought I was crazy at first but when you see great glass at a great price you can't beat it.

For what it's worth. I have a couple Nightforce scopes, never mounted, that I will be selling under $1,000. And hands down, in my opinion, nothing is better. I have 5 of them and just couldn't do anything else for myself.

Pm me please on the NF scope information. Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.