best scope for under $1000

I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to one of two. They are the Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14X50 with the M1 turrets and TMR reticle, OR the same thing in the 6.5-20X50. Both are 22oz in weight and same turrets and reticle, only power and length, the 6.5-20 being 2 inches longer.

For my use, for shooting at game probably no further than 750-800 yards I was thinking the 4.5-14, but a couple people have recommended more power. Any suggestions? I know I'd have no trouble killing an elk at 350 or so with a 4 or 6 power scope, so I'm wondering if I really need to go up to 20X. The rifle will not be a full bench gun, as I have a McMillan HTG stock with an adjustable comb on order and I'm just thinking the 4.5-14 will be a better fit to the package overall.

Any thoughts on this? If I was building a heavier bench type rifle, I'd probably spring for the NF 5-22 NXS.

Anything wrong with my thinking here on going with the 4.5-14 MK 4?

I think that you would be making the right decision with the 4.5-14. You should probably think about the shortest distance you are likely to shoot an elk for this one. A 4.5 power has a big enough field of view at close range to get on an animal at close range or when moving at close range, a 6.5 is not as good in these situations.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.