Best scope in yalls opinion??

Dust270WSM

I have recently bought a Browning X-bolt in 7mm Mag. It is a really good shooting rifle, sub-moa. Shooting 160 Nosler Accubonds. I have a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5X14X40 on it right know that works really good but I wanna turn it into a long range gun I can dial in. So I am looking at gettin a better scope that has more power and I can fine tune to my cartridge.

Night Force seems to be the best bang for your buck but how does it compare to the Leupolds and Vortecs. Figured $1500.00 was my limit but if I could get one around the $800 on the Vortec or $1000 on the Leupolds I might do that.

This gun will be used for Deer mostly and some elk.

yes the nightforce is a better scope but vortex pst is fantastic for the price and as a beginner it wouldnt make a difference expect another 800 in the wallet. Vortex is my suggestion and choice!

That's what I thought. Another option I was pondering was either a huskamaw or a custom for leupold made just 4 it.

What is currently limiting the accuracy of your A-bolt? Are you sure it's the scope? A new scope won't add a bit to the ballistic performance of your rifle. It could be the scope but I doubt it. With normal eyes and a 14x scope you should be able to resolve better than an inch at 1000 yards. A 2X scope will give "sub moa" resolution for normal eyes.

You didn't say what distance you're trying to shoot. It could be you just need glasses or practice at doping wind. You didn't say what bullets you're shooting but you may be able to get more improvement with lower drag bullets than a new scope. My advice is to sort our what factors are causing your shooting errors before you spend $1500 on a new scope. A 4.5-14x40 Leupold isn't junk.

Guess I wrote it wrong. Lol but NO there isn't any probs with the gun!!! It's a dang accurate shooter. I just wanna put a dang good scope with it for long range shooting. Like to be able to harvest animals around the 800 yard mark. Give or take.

I've never looked through one, but based on the recommendation of tons of guys on this site, my next scope will the a Sightron SIII. How far are you planning on shooting your rig? Those X Bolts are freaking sweet rifles huh? I love mine to death.

I would do some testing on your turret accuracy and repeatability. If you have that with your current scope you really don't need an upgrade unless you just want to. :D

If you are going to dial for every distance then obviously turret design and functionality is #1.

There are lots of good ones out there. Do you want to go FFP or SFP? Target turrets? What reticle? What power range? What obj diameter?

Some to ponder for now.

Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 EMD reticle, MIL/MIL
Vortex PST- many different options.
NF anything but I really like their FFP
SWFA SS 3-9x42 or 5-20x50

Leupold 8.5x25 Mk4 M1
Alumina flip-ups & filters
A pound lighter than NF and the eyepiece doesn't turn with power changes(like NF).

NO there isn't any probs with the gun!!! Like to be able to harvest animals around the 800 yard mark. Give or take.

Sub MOA rifle accuacy at 800 yards : < 8"
Resolution of the human eye with a 14x scope at 800 yards: < 1 inch
deflection in a 10 mph wind of a typical 7mm hunting bullet at 800 yards. : 4 to 5 feet.
At that distance and beyond the wind at the shooters location is not the most important.

Where do you think you should place your efforts for successful "800 yard game harvesting? If you think a new scope will help, go for it.

I have shot alot of game w/ my Leupold 4-14, mil dot, and dial it in. You can get different reticle and turrets at custom shop. I favor tmr and mil

SP6x6 said it all.
I sent my Leupold 4.5-14x40 A/O into the custom shop for a new B&C Varmint reticle for $109.99. It sits on my Model-70, 300 wby
Turrets (M-1 & Target styles) are available too. You'd be quite impressed with what you can do to your current scope. Just look at your options online at Leupolds website, & send it to em with a note of what you want done. Warranty is still the same, unbeatable.
But I also have a Burris 4.5-14x42 A/O on my Model-70, 270 wsm, so I'm kinda used to that variable power scope, & really like it on both my "reach out there a ways" toys. Plus it allows for my personal style of hunting from thick & nasty up close to way accross canyon critter thumpin'.
IMO you've got an exelent scope platform to build on should you choose to go that route.
If you wanna donate your Leupy, in favor of something "bigger & better", ill give it a good loving home on another Model-70 of mine:D.

I have not had the joy of playing with the super high end scopes, like nightforce, or US Optics, etc. So can't give you any advise other than A LOT of trusted members here swear by em. Maybe hit em up with a p.m. for some real hands on feedback.

Thanks for advice on my leupold. I think I might just do that!!! Love the scope thinkin new turrets and a reticle will be the ticket!!!

While I have had reliable performance with turret adjustments with the Mark 4's , I have been less successful with the VXIii's repeatability when using turret adjustments. Maybe it's just the couple I have used. They have worked fine when using a ballistic Reticle. The Huskemaw is well worth a look. Just bought my third. Impeccable performance, clarity, and durability.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.